Things turning around in Europe?

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
blackeagle603

Re: Things turning around in Europe?

Post by blackeagle603 »

Not if you limit the number of days actually spent legislating, in which case it's like jury duty.

Don't know many people who can afford to sit on a jury for 100 days.
Elected office isn't SUPPOSED to be a full-time job.
Agreed but practically there's something in the middle there that's called for. "Don't muzzle the ox" and all that.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Termite wrote:
HTRN wrote:I don't think there's ever been a elected official who's outside of the big two, that has been elected higher than state senate, excluding ones that were also running as one of the big two parties candidate...
Jesse Ventura got elected governor of Minnesota as an independant, IIRC.
Lisa Murkowski successfully defended her seat in the US Senate as a write-in. Of course, being Alaska, the Democrat came in third. :lol:
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Netpackrat wrote:
Termite wrote:
HTRN wrote:I don't think there's ever been a elected official who's outside of the big two, that has been elected higher than state senate, excluding ones that were also running as one of the big two parties candidate...
Jesse Ventura got elected governor of Minnesota as an independant, IIRC.
Lisa Murkowski successfully defended her seat in the US Senate as a write-in. Of course, being Alaska, the Democrat came in third. :lol:
And that's a DAMNED GOOD THING!!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D :D :D :P :P
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

MarkD wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:make it 100 days or 140 max and we'd all be better off.

But not paying the legislature is a splendid idea, second only to eliminating publicly-paid staff members.
Careful what you wish for. That just eliminates anyone from serving who isn't independently wealthy and able to work unpaid.
Not if you limit the number of days actually spent legislating, in which case it's like jury duty.

Elected office isn't SUPPOSED to be a full-time job.
Not just the number of days, but which days - say the month of August for the State reps in the South, with it written into the constitution that there shall be no climate control in chambers or in reps spaces during the time their in session. Should motivate them not to spend anymore time than needed. ;)
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

blackeagle603 wrote:

No, but most people who would wish to hold elected office for the "proper" reasons could manage a two weeks off a few times a year.

If you're trying to get the job of deciding how MY tax dollars are to be spent, you should be sacrificing to do so.

Couple this with a law stating that any elected official who takes bribes or otherwise breaches the public trust for his own benefit shall be subject to corporal punishment on the front lawn of the town/city hall. Administered by the grouchhiest old SOB that can be found in the town (in my town, that would probably be me. I'd offer my services free of charge and would expense only the cost of laundering my clothes afterward, they'd need it).
randy

Post by randy »

MarkD wrote: I'd offer my services free of charge and would expense only the cost of laundering my clothes afterward, they'd need it).
Tyvex suits are cheap and disposable. I'm sure the local HAZMAT team could come up with a case of them.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

randy wrote:
MarkD wrote: I'd offer my services free of charge and would expense only the cost of laundering my clothes afterward, they'd need it).
Tyvex suits are cheap and disposable. I'm sure the local HAZMAT team could come up with a case of them.
Hell, if that was the case, I'd be willing to buy my own Tyvex suits! They aren't that expensive!!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

MarkD wrote:
blackeagle603 wrote:

No, but most people who would wish to hold elected office for the "proper" reasons could manage a two weeks off a few times a year.

If you're trying to get the job of deciding how MY tax dollars are to be spent, you should be sacrificing to do so.
The problem with that is it limits the available pool of office holders to people who are more or less self employed with flexible hours who can get a professional advantage through a connection with the legislature. That is another way of saying lawyers.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Or retired. Or business owners past a certain level.

If you think about what a "Representative" should be. - you essentially want a proven executive/accounting or legal mind - perhaps an engineer or two as well.

But, it doesn't really ever call for a "working stiff."
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Aglifter wrote:Or retired. Or business owners past a certain level.

If you think about what a "Representative" should be. - you essentially want a proven executive/accounting or legal mind - perhaps an engineer or two as well.

But, it doesn't really ever call for a "working stiff."
That is a nice theory, but what you get is a high percentage of lawyers. http://americanindependent.com/188127/r ... of-lawyers

I am not in favor of a full time legislature (even at the federal level). I'm just saying that there is not an easy answer to this question and their are trade offs.

If you want a government to reflect middle class values, then you need to make sure that someone middle class can actually serve in government. My take on that would be to limit the length of the legislature meeting and also pay them enough that someone who is not a rent seeker could justify the time.
Last edited by Vonz90 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.