Louisiana Supremes to hear arguments on Felons with guns

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Aesop

Re: Louisiana Supremes to hear arguments on Felons with guns

Post by Aesop »

I have no problem with ex-felons with guns.

Let's just first make sure they serve 100% of their sentences, consecutively rather than concurrently, in all instances. Then let's talk about all the rest...
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Why would you want to turn theft into a misdemeanor?
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Rod

Post by Rod »

Aglifter wrote:It is unconstitutional. For a, very, long time felons could possess guns - parole is a different status.

Most states have a mechanism for the restoration of rights after a period of time - which would hold up, most likely.
STATES have a mechanism like you mentioned; problem is that you're forever a felon under federal law as long as it's on their records. It is almost impossible to get that conviction off unless you get a presidental pardon.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Aesop wrote:I have no problem with ex-felons with guns.

Let's just first make sure they serve 100% of their sentences, consecutively rather than concurrently, in all instances. Then let's talk about all the rest...
I agree - otherwise, WHY the FUCK are they out on the streets??? My brother has served more than 10 years of a federal prison term for a NON-VIOLENT drug conviction (mostly because he refused to roll-over on his Mexican upstream suppliers who threatened to kill all his family members if he did), and yet this NON-VIOLENT DRUG OFFENDER is denied the same rights as if he was a rapist, robber, or even murderer?????

It THAT justice? He has HONORABLY served his term and is reformed, WHY NOT give him back his rights to be able to defend himself against those who might still wish him harm 'cause someone else talked (or even if he did without Witness Protection)???? He IS NOT a violent criminal - if he was, I'd be the FIRST in line to have his RKBA rights removed. But he doesn't DESERVE this simply because our government has so decreed. And there's a LOT of others in the same boat as my brother, but they've also been clean and all they want to do is live a REGULAR life and be able to protect themselves and their family members. The families too SHOULD NOT SUFFER, once they've ended their parole. They SHOULD be allowed the ability to protect themselves (AND THEIR FAMILY) against the criminal organizations from south-of-the-border - WITHOUT facing repercussions simply because they were a felon in possession of a firearm, but at least (FOR NOW) they were still alive!!!

The law SHOULD allow for such preservation, unless your crime was so horrendous that you should forfeit ALL rights to life - but then, WHY THE HELL ARE YOU OUT OF PRISON???????? If you've served your time, and done so honorably, you SHOULD be able to get your rights back - otherwise, what other incentive do you have to get clean and fix your life, that is, if you're already SCREWED for all time!!!
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

This thread has been illuminating. I'm still shocked at how many people assume a crime currently categorized as a felony was something violent, or even serious. There are a LOT of bullshit crimes that are categorized as felonies. To find that mistaken assumption even among this usually well-informed group was...surprising.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Precision

Post by Precision »

"felonies" have become another of the tools of control over the masses.

felons are easier to lead around by their noses, just like the desperately poor. Some overlap...
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

California has a process for restoration of rights. It involves completion of probations and petitioning to have the various "wobbler" felonies reclassified as misdemeanors.

Chris is right; it is the incredible and evil proliferation of non-violent felonies causing this issue, as well as prison overcrowding. Much as 300 years ago when everything in England was a hanging offense (if they caught you, which was harder to do with the 20% habitual criminals who committed 80% of the crimes), today everything seems to be a felony. Combine that with the policy of prosecutors to overcharge to get plea deals and you have the current American system.

If the rate at which crimes are solved were to increase, the long prison sentences could often be reduced, as it is the certainty of punishment rather the severity that controls.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

skb12172 wrote:This thread has been illuminating. I'm still shocked at how many people assume a crime currently categorized as a felony was something violent, or even serious. There are a LOT of bullshit crimes that are categorized as felonies. To find that mistaken assumption even among this usually well-informed group was...surprising.
It may be the color of spectacles I'm wearing, but I don't see that assumption here. Of course, I agree that there are a lot of bullshit crimes, so maybe I just dismiss others' assumption that "just because it's a felony, it must be serious."
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
martini

Post by martini »

I'm in favor of automatic restoration of rights. My thought is this, if we can't trust them with their rights (guns, voting, etc.), then they aren't fit to rejoin society. If that's true then they should still be in prison. If they are fit to be released then their debt is paid and we should allow them to move on with their life.
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura