US Government Steals Gold Coins from Heirs

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
NVGdude

Re: US Government Steals Gold Coins from Heirs

Post by NVGdude »

cu74 wrote: While I don't know the particulars, apparently the gov made a case beyond Reasonable Doubt that the Mint's tracking and records were righteous. If that was the case, the jury was right.
Ahem. Civil Case. Preponderance of the evidence, not Reasonable Doubt.
(plus everything Chris said)
cu74

Post by cu74 »

NVGdude wrote:
cu74 wrote: While I don't know the particulars, apparently the gov made a case beyond Reasonable Doubt that the Mint's tracking and records were righteous. If that was the case, the jury was right.
Ahem. Civil Case. Preponderance of the evidence, not Reasonable Doubt.
(plus everything Chris said)
I stand corrected :oops: . However, it doesn't change the result - the .gov had a right case.
Jim Dozier - Straight, but not narrow...
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.” - Rudyard Kipling.
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Termite wrote:
Les Nessman wrote:
And is it any wonder that the average american considers .gov the greatest danger to their freedom.
I don't think that's true anymore, and that is a damn shame.

From John Hinderaker of Powerline.com: "On paper, given Obama’s record, this election should be a cakewalk for the Republicans. Why isn’t it? I am afraid the answer may be that the country is closer to the point of no return than most of us believed. With over 100 million Americans receiving federal welfare benefits, millions more going on Social Security disability, and many millions on top of that living on entitlement programs–not to mention enormous numbers of public employees–we may have gotten to the point where the government economy is more important, in the short term, than the real economy. My father, the least cynical of men, used to quote a political philosopher to the effect that democracy will work until people figure out they can vote themselves money. I fear that time may have come."

I've been thinking the same thing for awhile now.
+1
Unfortunately you two might be right, and many of us are planning accordingly.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
TheIrishman

Post by TheIrishman »

Netpackrat wrote:The government claiming that gold coins were stolen from it strikes me as being the ultimate case of the pot calling the kettle black.
Especially, considering that they paid far less than actual value when they "recalled"(really seized) the gold in circulation.
Formally the IrateIrishman
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Woo Hoo! Fingers crossed for the next appeal.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
henrybowman

Post by henrybowman »

What are the odds that they win?

Good for them Fuck the Feds.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

They'll hound them till they give up. The Feds have all the time in the world, and an army of lawyers. If they want those coins back, THEY'll get them, even if they have to do something like arrest the plaintiffs for receiving stolen property.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Flintlock Tom

Post by Flintlock Tom »

Perhaps if the family claims they are illegal immigrants the .gov will let them keep the coins and send over a new car, too.

;)
If time, chance and random process can produce a platypus why not an ammo tree?