Let Penn State Keep Playing Football?

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
skb12172

Let Penn State Keep Playing Football?

Post by skb12172 »

This article makes a compelling argument in favor of keeping the team together. If they do, I believe it is necessary to completely clean house and start over with an entirely new staff. Some innocent folks will lose their jobs, sure, but it's necessary for their image, as well as to make sure all the old guard is gone for good. YMMV...

http://news.yahoo.com/let-penn-state-ke ... 43856.html
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Netpackrat

Re: Let Penn State Keep Playing Football?

Post by Netpackrat »

It's a start. If I had my way, no publicly supported university would have an athletics program.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Netpackrat wrote:It's a start. If I had my way, no publicly supported university would have an athletics program.
The "semi-pro" system which now exists in football and basketball, is garbage. I agree with that.

However, athletics in general, is an excellent way of instilling character, etc in young men. Knute Rockney's writing were, almost completely, focused on the progress of the young men into adulthood.

The problem is when coaches became more focused on winning than on their role as educators.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Termite

Post by Termite »

CByrneIV wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:It's a start. If I had my way, no publicly supported university would have an athletics program.
Most division 1 athletic programs are HUGE moneymakers for their institutions. As in tens or hundreds of millions annually. No public funds go directly to them.

I have no problem with that.

I do have a HUGE problem with the NCAA's hypocrisy about it, but that's another argument.
No better example than LSU football. The football program turns over multiple millions back to the school, particuliarly to women's athletics(oh thank you title IX.... :roll: ).
Mike the Tiger's new home is 15,000 sq.ft., and cost the taxpayers of Louisiana exactly zero dollars.
In 2005, a new $3 million habitat was created for Mike. The Tiger Athletic Foundation (TAF) raised funds, entirely from private sources, to subsidize the construction project. The habitat (situated between Tiger Stadium and the Pete Maravich Assembly Center) features state-of-the-art technologies and includes among its amenities lush plantings, a waterfall, a flowing stream that empties into a wading pond, and rocky plateaus. The new habitat ranks among the largest and finest Tiger preserves in the country and expanded Mike's home from 2,000 to 15,000 square feet (1,400 m2). It also features research, conservation, and husbandry programs, as well as educational, interpretive, and recreational activities. Mike's new home can be viewed via the live Tigercam.
Other things have come out of college athletic programs. Like Gatoraid.
The first iteration of Gatorade was formulated in 1965 by a team of researchers at the University of Florida College of Medicine, including Robert Cade, Dana Shires, Harry James Free, and Alejandro de Quesada. It was created following a request from Florida Gators football head coach Ray Graves to aid athletes by acting as a hydrating replacement for body fluids lost during physical exertion in hot weather. The earliest versions of the beverage consisted of a mixture of water, sodium, sugar, potassium, phosphate, and lemon juice. Ten players on the University of Florida football team tested the first version of Gatorade during practices and games in 1965, and the tests were deemed successful. The football team credited Gatorade as having contributed to their first Orange Bowl win over the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets in 1967, at which point the drink gained traction within the athletic community. Yellow Jackets coach Bobby Dodd, when asked why his team lost, replied: "We didn't have Gatorade. That made the difference."
Aglifter wrote:The problem is when coaches became more focused on winning than on their role as educators.
Are you channeling Paul "Bear" Bryant........... :lol: He considered himself as far more than just a coach, but a mentor for young men. IIRC, he used to make his players stay in contact with their families on a regular basis.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

CByrneIV wrote:
Most division 1 athletic programs are HUGE moneymakers for their institutions. As in tens or hundreds of millions annually. No public funds go directly to them.

I have no problem with that.

I do have a HUGE problem with the NCAA's hypocrisy about it, but that's another argument.
I don't believe that any public institution should be involved in for-profit ventures. If something can be done at a profit, then that should be the realm of private enterprise. And whether it turns a profit or not, operating a football league is not a legitimate function of government.
Aglifter wrote: However, athletics in general, is an excellent way of instilling character, etc in young men. Knute Rockney's writing were, almost completely, focused on the progress of the young men into adulthood.
So what?

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

Ball games are for children. The fighting arts - those are fit sports for men.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Netpackrat wrote:
Aglifter wrote: However, athletics in general, is an excellent way of instilling character, etc in young men. Knute Rockney's writing were, almost completely, focused on the progress of the young men into adulthood.
So what?
So, that is a traditional part of an education - ref: Duke of Wellington's, "Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton" comment. College is, perhaps, a bit old for team sports - but its a good place to take up new hobbies.

Football is, actually, only profitable for a small number of schools.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Aglifter wrote:So, that is a traditional part of an education - ref: Duke of Wellington's, "Waterloo was won on the playing fields of Eton" comment. College is, perhaps, a bit old for team sports - but its a good place to take up new hobbies.

Football is, actually, only profitable for a small number of schools.
Not really a public school in the way that we know them here. I don't think that it takes any tax money.

PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

but its a good place to take up new hobbies.
Heh! I could tell you stories about a little red-headed gal, a bottle of cheap wine, and the backseat of a Ford Fairlane, but that has nothing to do with college sports... or maybe it does!
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House