Justice?

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Catbird

Re: Justice?

Post by Catbird »

Steamforger wrote:The civil case may be another matter entirely. I sincerely hope that guy owes pretty much every dollar he'll ever make to the murder victims family before he finally just gives up and takes the only honorable recourse he has left.
The wrongful death case is vs. City of Mesa, AZ.

BTW, since the (former) cop was found "not guilty", he will get his rifle back, dust cover and all.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD
Termite

Post by Termite »

All of this will end when such DAs, judges, and LEOs are found dead(.22RF to the head preferably, it means a pro did it), and there are no witnesses.

As for the teenaged girl that got community service, well......see above.

And if "whites", Hispanics, or any other ethnicity does what she did, the same applies.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Forum still desperately needs a "like" button.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Termite

Post by Termite »

Netpackrat wrote:Forum still desperately needs a "like" button.
I didn't post what I did because I think it's a good idea. I posted it as a warning.

A lot of folks have forgotten that there is an unwritten social contract between the general public and our elected officials. All parties must honor it; or chaos inevitably results.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

BDK wrote:The judge was right to exclude the dust cover. It’s prejudicial and irrelevant.

The CA case was bad lawyering on the part of the prosecution/maybe over-charging.
The suspicious part of me wants to think that the prosecution simply didn't try as hard as they might have (if, say, a tourist from Texas had killed an illegal alien or other member of a favored victim group), simply because convicting the guy would have proven Trump was right. Of course, failing to get a conviction just gives Trump more ammunition, but hey.

I think trying to get any sort of murder charge was probably stretching it by a lot, given that he fired one round, which ricocheted before hitting Steinle and mortally wounding her.

To one of us, or anyone else who's comfortable with guns and the 4 Rules, the Negligent Manslaughter (or whatever CA calls it) should be a slam dunk. Pulling the trigger when the gun is not aimed at a positively identified target is Negligence. Simply having your finger on the trigger if the gun is not aimed at a positively identified target is Negligence.

Problem is, not a lot of Gun People live in SF, and any the showed up in the jury pool were probably bounced by the Defense counsel. Which makes it easy for them to say "The Sig P239 doesn't have a positive mechanical safety, and in single action mode it's very easy to pull the trigger accidentally." Which is, according to news accounts, exactly what they claimed. Non-gun people think, "Yeah, there really should be something to stop the gun from firing if you pull the trigger by accident," and blame the gun.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Jered

Post by Jered »

As far as I can tell, there still has not been an indictment or termination in the Justine Damond case in Minneapolis. Of course, in that case, the cop was a Somali named Mohamed. From the sound of things, the agency won't invoke Garrity, either.

He won't explain why he shot her.

From what I've read in the press *invokes General Sherman's ghost on reporters* it sounds like there's plenty there for a manslaughter indictment.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

That one...I got no clue. A story in today's Star-Tribune says they're apparently still waiting on a decision on that one.

The cynical part of me thinks they're probably trying to figure out a way to charge the guy while stepping on the minimum number of toes. (The BLM types will wail that "Oh, a black cop kills a white woman and THAT you prosecute!" The Somalis are tribal as f*ck; they'll be mad if the guy gets prosecuted, and how much you want to bet that they're a large constituency for the elected DA? They're probably also trying to figure out how not to have their affirmative action program pilloried by the defense team - i.e., this guy shouldn't have been on the street, but he was put there because City Hall wanted more cops from "disadvantaged/oppressed/underrepresented" groups.

That said, there's a whole lot about it that begs questions: Why did he have his gun out inside the car? Why didn't his partner tell him to put it away? (That partner had to have known the gun was out - you can't hide the noise and bodily contortions required to pull a pistol from a duty holster while seated in a patrol car.) Why did he shoot ACROSS his partner? Why the heck was he so panicky in the first place?
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Jered

Post by Jered »

In that case, his partner actually had less experience than he did.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Langenator

Post by Langenator »

Huh. This sure seems like it'd be relevant. Maybe not to any criminal case, but certainly to any wrongful death suit.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/12/15/minne ... ium=Social

If I was Ms Diamond's estate's lawyer(s), I'd certainly be asking to see the results of the offending officer's psych evals, or at least if it fell outside of generally accepted norms.
Fortuna Fortis Paratus
Precision

Post by Precision »

Termite wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:Forum still desperately needs a "like" button.
I didn't post what I did because I think it's a good idea. I posted it as a warning.

A lot of folks have forgotten that there is an unwritten social contract between the general public and our elected officials. All parties must honor it; or chaos inevitably results.
more and more people are taking the pill (red) that lets them see the truth. More and more often when I make statements like that with (or without) mime style motions, people are nodding along. Ten years ago, they would have been aghast or attempted to "talk me down".
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/