Trump's nominations for top posts

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
Vonz90

Re: Trump's nominations for top posts

Post by Vonz90 »

PawPaw wrote:It looks like he's putting together a pretty good team. I like Mattis at SecDef. I like Dr. Carson at HUD. I like DeVos at SecEdu. I've heard that Forrest Lucas is in consideration for Interior. I believe that he'd be a better pick for Energy.

When DeVos starts pushing school choice, watch liberal heads explode. Things should get real interesting around local school boards in the next year or so.

Someone remind me why we have a Secretary of Commerce, or a Secretary of Labor?
DeVos is a poor choice. She is good on school choice but for keeping racial preferences for school admissions with an added habit of calling anyone who disagrees with her a racist.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I feel a tremor in the Force. As if a million Marines just fist bumped at once.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Termite

Post by Termite »

PawPaw wrote:Someone remind me why we have a Secretary of Commerce, or a Secretary of Labor?
Seems like those two could easily be combined.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Mike OTDP

Post by Mike OTDP »

No guts, no glory. Consolidate the Departments of Commerce, Labor, Agriculture, Transportation, and non-nuclear parts of Energy.
evan price

Post by evan price »

...and Ben Carson for HUD.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Termite

Post by Termite »

Florida’s Allen West meets with Team Trump...

“Well, isn't that SPE-CIAL?!”.......(says Termite in his best "church lady" voice...)

SEC-ARMY maybe............ :?:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/01/h ... eam-086686

The op ed above is Trump's Labor Sec. pick pro-amnesty rant. Why would a immigration hawk nominate someone pro-amnesty for Labor? My guess is that Trump's immigration hawkism will turn out to be bunk.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

I'm not seeing a pro-amnesty rant. I do see a pro immigrant and pro "bring sanity" to our immigration process argument though. On balance strikes me as pretty good stuff.

but, but, but, "Comprehensive immigration reform!!!" Dog whistle!!! A "pathway to adjusted status" for those here illegally now!!! Aiiieeee Bloody Shirt!!!

Seriously folks, we may want to reinstitute Ike's operation wetback but who really thinks that's on the table as an option? Seems like this guy has the hierarchy of approaching the problem in the right order. Yeah, I wanna see a fence too and a mess of lawbreakers headed south -- from my house (this is close to home). However, the reality and humanity of it is much more nuanced that a nuke 'em from orbit sort of fantasy solution of deportations by the millions.

But we should implement immigration reform not because of politics but because it’s the right thing to do. The current system is unfair and unworkable. It’s hurting legal immigrants who are unable to navigate it, undocumented workers who are lured to the country by the prospect of employment, then must live in the shadows — and honest business people who just want to operate their businesses consistent with the law.

Comprehensive immigration reform should resolve the status of the current undocumented population and fix the system of legal immigration to help prevent illegal activity in the future while providing the economy with a capable and motivated workforce. It should include: effective border enforcement; a robust legal immigration program, including incentives for highly educated people to come to the U.S. and a guest worker program; a pathway to adjusted status for those here illegally now; and special relief for the children of undocumented immigrants.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

blackeagle603 wrote:I'm not seeing a pro-amnesty rant. I do see a pro immigrant and pro "bring sanity" to our immigration process argument though. On balance strikes me as pretty good stuff.

but, but, but, "Comprehensive immigration reform!!!" Dog whistle!!! A "pathway to adjusted status" for those here illegally now!!! Aiiieeee Bloody Shirt!!!

Seriously folks, we may want to reinstitute Ike's operation wetback but who really thinks that's on the table as an option? Seems like this guy has the hierarchy of approaching the problem in the right order. Yeah, I wanna see a fence too and a mess of lawbreakers headed south -- from my house (this is close to home). However, the reality and humanity of it is much more nuanced that a nuke 'em from orbit sort of fantasy solution of deportations by the millions.

But we should implement immigration reform not because of politics but because it’s the right thing to do. The current system is unfair and unworkable. It’s hurting legal immigrants who are unable to navigate it, undocumented workers who are lured to the country by the prospect of employment, then must live in the shadows — and honest business people who just want to operate their businesses consistent with the law.

Comprehensive immigration reform should resolve the status of the current undocumented population and fix the system of legal immigration to help prevent illegal activity in the future while providing the economy with a capable and motivated workforce. It should include: effective border enforcement; a robust legal immigration program, including incentives for highly educated people to come to the U.S. and a guest worker program; a pathway to adjusted status for those here illegally now; and special relief for the children of undocumented immigrants.
To provide context, it was written concurrent with the Gang of 8 "comprehensive immigration reform" fight supporting that legislation (which was just a very thinly disguised amnesty AND higher legal immigration levels bill). If you want more, here he is advocating for more low skilled immigration in 2013: https://www.aei.org/events/essential-wo ... s-economy/ here he is joining with Murdock and Bloomberg in support of open boarders: http://www.renewoureconomy.org/news/upd ... on-reform/

It walks like duck, quacks like a duck and swims like a duck.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Throw me a bone. This is the best (worst) i can find in it thinked info.
“Fixing our broken immigration system is the right thing to do,” said Andrew Puzder, CEO of CKE Restaurants, and Romney for President Economic Advisor. “America should be a destination for hard-working immigrants from all over the world. Our economy will benefit from that. It is time for Republicans in Congress to be leaders on this issue, secure our borders and implement conservative, free-market solutions for our immigration system.
emphasis added...

Again, I'm looking for something to be hysterical and enraged about this guy but (still) coming up empty. Throw me a bone.