Thought experiment

This forum is for discussion of politics, diplomacy, law, and justice
BDK

Thought experiment

Post by BDK »

You are full-bird Colonel Shooter.

The Idiot Subsequent has announced imminent simultaneous confiscation of 401ks and private arms.

This is expected to cause considerable excitement, as you might imagine.

You may presume military demographics/politics are the same as current - as such, their is considerable unrest among the troops - among with rumors coming from the top down that Idiot Subsequent will expect to use force to "maintain order".

One version, you are active duty, the other, you are in the NG.

Fundamentally, you seem to be faced with, maintaining command and control of your men, (There are rumors of an "incident" involving a group widely viewed as JBTs/wannabes by your troops, and involving family of one of your troops), fulfilling your oath, seeing that the Republic survives, and that you do so as well.
slowpoke

Re: Thought experiment

Post by slowpoke »

Help my commanding generals arrest the tyrant?
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Much the same predicament that Lee faced. I would hope I faced it with the same grace he displayed.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
BDK

Post by BDK »

Agreed about Lee.

So, how do you propose arresting the, duly elected Idiot?

(I think we are perilously close to a situation where the populace would be comfortable with the military arresting most of DC, but how do you do that, and avoid the advent of Caesar?)
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

BDK wrote:So, how do you propose arresting the, duly elected Idiot?
Going for "cardiac" works for me.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Some of us have planned for this . Your money in one country ,earn income in a other etc etc
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Termite

Post by Termite »

With DEVGRU, 160th SOAR, and some F-22, F-15 or F-16 aircover, it is doable.

IOW, USSOCOM leaves MacDill and goes to the Potomac.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Precision

Post by Precision »

At a minimum, I bring in all my underling officers to a meeting. I read through the laws on illegal orders, on Posse Comitatus etc. I discuss with them the effects of abrogating the Constitution to follow a Nero type President. I bring up facts and let them discuss. I make notes on who is not getting it.

Once I have self led buy in to the RIGHT course of action, I have a second meeting with the NCO's and the officers who get it. Here, we lay out what is coming as well as the party line as to what they are going to pass down to the rank and file. Sprinkle in a few words like treason, civil war, get your house and your unit in order. Impress on them that the more unified we are the less likely it is for civil war to start or at least the shorter it will last in duration.

Of course this would be after doing back channel polling of my fellow colonels, seeing who among them will be faithful to the Country and who will be faithful to the office of the Exec.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
BDK

Post by BDK »

My guess is

1) If possible, confine troops to base

2) Isolate affected troops

3) If needed, make examples of any troops who are causing discipline issues.

(Maintaining control/keeping the military out of it would seem vital to me. Private citizenry can sort out any JBTs in short order.)

Hope I get to shelter behind Posse Commitatatus/the govebor's refusal to federalize us, if NG.

Have private words w local LEO command/Congressmen etc about not getting involved.

I think the most irrecoverable situation is Balkanization. Military weaponry and trained troops fighting inside population centers.

Now: if you are an NG commander in Crazy Land who has been turned over to Fed authority... I don't know what to do.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

Precision wrote:At a minimum, I bring in all my underling officers to a meeting. I read through the laws on illegal orders, on Posse Comitatus etc. I discuss with them the effects of abrogating the Constitution to follow a Nero type President. I bring up facts and let them discuss. I make notes on who is not getting it.

Once I have self led buy in to the RIGHT course of action, I have a second meeting with the NCO's and the officers who get it. Here, we lay out what is coming as well as the party line as to what they are going to pass down to the rank and file. Sprinkle in a few words like treason, civil war, get your house and your unit in order. Impress on them that the more unified we are the less likely it is for civil war to start or at least the shorter it will last in duration.

Of course this would be after doing back channel polling of my fellow colonels, seeing who among them will be faithful to the Country and who will be faithful to the office of the Exec.
What, if anything, do you do with the ones who don't get it.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.