having to hit refresh --ALOT

Post your questions or issues here, if you need technical or administrative support or assistance.
Precision

having to hit refresh --ALOT

Post by Precision »

When I log into this site, I get partial page loads. Sometimes it is a blank page that I have to refresh to get anything, sometimes I get 3 or 4 posts that just dead ends. If I refresh the page, I get more data (or sometimes less) but eventually I can get through the entire thread.

Some days are worse then others.

I am not having this issue on other sites to any meaningful degree.

Suggestions as to what I am doing wrong, what is wrong with my computer ...
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Erik

Re: having to hit refresh --ALOT

Post by Erik »

What browser are you using?
Safari? Or are you using an iPhone?

I've seen issues with Apple browsers and php on a few sites I manage, that's why I'm asking.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Greg

Post by Greg »

What kind of network connection are you working from? Do you experience a lot of packet loss, or latency spikes?
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Precision

Post by Precision »

I am running firefox on win 7.

My most frequent problem is a connection reset when I put in my user name and password.
After that I get lots of partial loads. To the point, I almost never get a full page load.

for example, when I look below (while composing this reply), I see both of your posts, but my original post is cut off after the first header line.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
Precision

Post by Precision »

Assuming this site is packed with truth, it seems to say I have no packet loss issue.

http://www.dslreports.com/pingtest/a83a ... 8600?r=705
Erik

Post by Erik »

I have no problem with this site using Firefox and win 7. I guess it could be a browser cache issue of some sort on your particular setup, you could try another browser to see if you get other results, and if you do then clean the cache in Firefox.
John Wayne
Greg

Post by Greg »

Do you have problems at particular times of day? At my last place I had cable internet at first and it was badly oversubscribed. Worked fine during off hours, but when people were home it was unusable. Switched to dsl, listed speeds were lower but we actually *got* those speeds. Anyway, the problem with the cable in the congested area would manifest sometimes as packet loss, sometimes as latency spikes- when your traffic gets through, but it gets queued up in buffers for a while first (like suddenly you have 2s, yes 2 second, ping times), then gets shit out at you all at once, then gets queued up...

I suggest network, because it sounds so much like what I used to see with cable internet at my last apartment. Also, I use this site from work, from home, over cellular connections, using everything from desktops to laptops to tablets to my cell phone, and the site pretty much just works. Except for when I'm having reception issues with my wifi at home.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Precision

Post by Precision »

Greg wrote:Do you have problems at particular times of day? At my last place I had cable internet at first and it was badly oversubscribed. Worked fine during off hours, but when people were home it was unusable. Switched to dsl, listed speeds were lower but we actually *got* those speeds. Anyway, the problem with the cable in the congested area would manifest sometimes as packet loss, sometimes as latency spikes- when your traffic gets through, but it gets queued up in buffers for a while first (like suddenly you have 2s, yes 2 second, ping times), then gets shit out at you all at once, then gets queued up...

I suggest network, because it sounds so much like what I used to see with cable internet at my last apartment. Also, I use this site from work, from home, over cellular connections, using everything from desktops to laptops to tablets to my cell phone, and the site pretty much just works. Except for when I'm having reception issues with my wifi at home.
NO it isn't a time of day thing. I can be on this site and have to refresh 12 times to completely load a page, but open a different window and have Amazon or Sharp as a Marble or Silencerco running with no problem.

Not sure what is it about this site (and to a lesser extent) a few others that give me partial loads.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Well that was one idea. So it's not a network issue that's local to you, and you don't have the same problem I had. :)

Still sounds like a network issue, which means traceroute is going to be your friend. ISTR a similar utility on Windows is called 'tracert'. When you get the funky behavior, the partial loads, freezes, stutters, etc. it might be interesting to run traceroute/tracert to the website that's giving you troubles and see where the connection is crapping out.

Erik

Post by Erik »

I've had reports of similar issues on a few websites I manage. But I cant recreate it so it's hard for me to pin down.

My impression is that it's php related, possibly some sort of timeout. The users that have the problem seem to run iPhone and/or IPad, and they claim they have no issues on other sites. And they only have the issue on specific pages on my sites. Those pages show document lists that are generated from a database, so it's possible that there's a timeout somewhere that stops the page from loading.
What's weird is that noone else is reporting it, and since it's server side it should be the same for everyone. Unless the browser times out?
John Wayne