Flagging Comments as Inappropriate - No Not This Site

Post your questions or issues here, if you need technical or administrative support or assistance.
Ben Rumson

Flagging Comments as Inappropriate - No Not This Site

Post by Ben Rumson »

I have a question for you wwwebernets masters.

On discussion boards or comment sections, when a comment is flagged as inappropriate, is the comment removed automatically or does it require admin action? I'm guessing it's a configurable item, but thought I would ask.

I'll explain later as I'm in the middle of making a leftists head explode on another site.
randy

Re: Flagging Comments as Inappropriate - No Not This Site

Post by randy »

I'm sure the other Mods have more experience, but at least on this and a couple of other sites, the flag attracts the attention of a Mod and they then take appropriate action (appropriate may include doing nothing).
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Moving to Technical Support.

Usually, I'll spot it as a flagged post when checking the forum and I'll take a look at it. If necessary, I'll take action on it or maybe leave it for Chris or CC - someone else who can do a little more digging (since it's usually one of the newbies posting something someone has flagged). We really don't get many flagged posts as "Inappropriate" or someone reporting a post. For the most part, those are usually SPAM, and we hopefully catch those right away.

Sometimes, as Randy says, it might just be doing "nothing" - or "nothing" might appear that way as we leave it for someone else to check out. Chris and CC have FAR more tools to access than I do when looking to see if someone might be a spammer, or has registered before, etc.

As far as something happening when you flag a post, that's probably a setting in the software to see if just flagging something should get immediately pulled, or if someone needs to decide first if it gets pulled, and is left there until someone makes a decision one way or another.

Does that make sense?
Last edited by Combat Controller on Fri May 28, 2010 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: parinoia
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Ben Rumson

Post by Ben Rumson »

Yeah, makes sense..

I was over at a PA news site reading an article on the nut that flew his plane into the IRS building. Naturally in the comments section a loon was trying to tie the guy to the Tea Party. I asked the guy to read the nuts manifesto and he would see he was not a Tea Party member or follower. I wasn't slinging insults.

Well, that of course prompted an insult from the loon. I replied back to the loon that he was being very Alinsky and asked if he was going to go Godwin next.

I knew at this point that the loon is beyond reason, so I decided I should just torque him up a bit. So I flagged his comment with the insult. His comment was removed in a couple of minutes. I then decided to look up his other twelve comments on various stories and he had two more with raging leftist insults, so I flagged those as well and they were gone in a couple of minutes. I commented on my last flag that the guy was a liability due to his history to see if I could get him booted.

The loon still hasn't commented at my last salvo, but it's late and he might not be looking. If and when he does comment and he hopefully sees one of his comments gone, I'm going to get him lefty crazy mad.. Hopefully he won't beat on his wife or errrr partner. But then again, he may be a she.

Anyways, the removal of the loons comments were so fast I thought it would have to be automatic, but that doesn't leave any room for admin judgment.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Since we don't have those kind of commenters here, it hasn't been that kind of a problem.

Chris has done a DAMN GOOD job of screening them out of the gate and AFAIK, caught many a nut-case and troll trying to register here to post their screed. So far, it hasn't worked - AT ALL.

On occasion we get the isolated spammer through, but they actually have to work for it, and if they did that all the time, they wouldn't make any money, so most of them leave us alone.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

I gotta say, Mike, you guys have done the best job of moderating I've ever seen. The make up of this forum's membership must help, but still. Good job.
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Have to say we are a pretty civil group as well, have noticed more that once when some one is offended , the an apology usually follows very quickly.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Denis

Post by Denis »

arctictom wrote:Have to say we are a pretty civil group as well, have noticed more that once when some one is offended , the an apology usually follows very quickly.
Well, the thought of having a heavily-armed irate nutter coming after one does tend to concentrate the mind. :lol:

Sorry. I shouldn't have said that.
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Denis wrote:
Well, the thought of having a heavily-armed irate nutter coming after one does tend to concentrate the mind. :lol:

Apparently, the exception is a pink Ouija board armed Chris. :mrgreen:
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
Denis

Post by Denis »

Aaron wrote:
Denis wrote:

Apparently, the exception is a pink Ouija board armed Chris. :mrgreen:
That would be a heavy irate nutter with a pink oiuja board, then...

Denis ducks and runs away in a zig-zag pattern, right behind FastRope...