Should I whack it with a stick?

Keep it clean people, this is almost a family friendly site
rightisright

Re: Should I whack it with a stick?

Post by rightisright »

Whatever you do, do it after dark. That way most of the evil with wings will be back in the nest as they are diurnal.
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

Looks like a dirt dobber nest. Big damn dirt dobber nest.

If it's not, buy a can of this stuff. I've knocked down red hornets, wasps, yellow jackets, and a few other of satans mosquitos mid flight and they were dead before they hit the grass. Poisons the nest too, so you'll find dead wasps around the nest for a few days after.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectracide- ... /100352314

Like someone else said, hit them after dark, or right at sunrise.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

RedCan BrakeCleen. At the local auto parts store, knocks their dicks in the dirt and won't melt/stain the siding.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

rightisright wrote:Whatever you do, do it after dark. That way most of the evil with wings will be back in the nest as they are diurnal.
That's kind of what I was thinking.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Rustyv wrote:Looks like a dirt dobber nest. Big damn dirt dobber nest. .
Nah. I get dirt dobbers in the attic all the time. A country fellow at work tells me it's hornets, but I haven't done any research.
evan price

Post by evan price »

Baldfaced hornets. Mean nasty little Bayard. The paper nest is multi layered. Spraying Raid in the hole will only kill the first couple layers. You have to get the queen in the middle to kill it for good or they rebuild.
There is a Terro foaming carpenter ant and termite killer that works great as a wasp and bee killer that will spray into the hole and then foam to coat the inside and it's contact poison so any that come and go will die. I've used it on carpenter bees and wasp nests.
Otherwise hose with high pressure nozzle and be ready to beat feet.

ETA: i just noticed autocorrect turned "bastard" into "Bayard".
Interesting that i use that more than bastard as a gun guy!
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

evan price wrote:Baldfaced hornets.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

Old Grafton wrote:RedCan BrakeCleen. At the local auto parts store, knocks their dicks in the dirt and won't melt/stain the siding.
I've used brake cleaner as a field expedient wasp killer as well, and it indeed kills them quite dead. I like the range you get with actual hornet killer sprays better though.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Bought some hornet spray yesterday. I'll update you from the hospital. :lol:

ETA: my daughter's room is the window upper left. She wants to lean out and whack it with a bat. I told her I'd consider it so long as her bedroom door was closed, and she didn't open it until she'd killed all the hornets in her room. She's pondering the deal.
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

How long do you think it took to build that nest?
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad