Shaving while old.

Keep it clean people, this is almost a family friendly site
toad

Shaving while old.

Post by toad »

I use an Edwin Jagger fixed angle double edged blade holder. It simple,, sturdy, and I had to learn to hold it right anyway. First thing I learned was not to go for a perfect feel but to go with something that looks decent on my face. I don't shave against the grain. I grab the razor by my finger tips and just let the weight of it do the cut on my cheeks to get the feel for it again. The hard part is that when you get old, jowly, and thin skinned you have to adjust your face to get the maximum flat area. This involves stretching your skin with your fingers, using your facial muscles, puffing your cheeks and being very careful to move the razor diagonally to razors edge. As you probably well know if you mover the razor blade parallel you'll slice the heck out of yourself. I use Derbyshire blades because they not quite as aggressive as Feathers, I can use the Feathers but I have to be more careful and it takes longer to shave.
If I could stand the pain of using clothes pins and binder clips to stretch my skin out flat as possible I could go faster. :oops:
Rich

Re: Shaving while old.

Post by Rich »

I eschew blades altogether.

When I feel the need to look human, I take my mustache trimmer and mow my face. I then apply Williams 'Lectric Shave before using my Norelco shaver.

After the need passes, I let the field lay fallow for a month or three (or more) until the need arises again.

But then I don't have much of facial hair. Think wispy oriental.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
toad

Post by toad »

I bought a Braun wet or dry rechargeable shaver but I gave up trying to get a good shave with it either wet or dry. My skin floppiness gave me the same problems that I had with safety razors only it seemed more so. I may pull it out again because I'd like to get my money out of it.

Speaking of wispy oriental there was this Chinese pre-med student that damn near led me to break it off with my then current girl friend in 1980. It is one of those sins that I didn't commit that I regret not doing. :(
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I have cut off my beard twice in my adult life, and grew it right back both times. :P
Eppur si muove--Galileo
toad

Post by toad »

Next I wait to hear from someone who decides to go to the laser clinic to get the full bikini on their face. :twisted: