For fans of "Big Bang Theory"

Keep it clean people, this is almost a family friendly site
Jericho941

Re: For fans of "Big Bang Theory"

Post by Jericho941 »

Erik wrote:Not to mention that even Raj, portrayed as totally hopeless with women, has hooked up with at least five women on screen (not counting Sailor Moon or the Orion slave girl).
Sitcoms are bad at this.

George Costanza was supposed to be a lonely, dateless loser, but over Seinfeld's run he had more than six times the number of girlfriends most dudes will have in their entire life.

Then again, Big Bang Theory is just straight-up bad at "nerd" in general and not that great, soooo...
Erik

Post by Erik »

Jericho941 wrote:
Erik wrote:Not to mention that even Raj, portrayed as totally hopeless with women, has hooked up with at least five women on screen (not counting Sailor Moon or the Orion slave girl).
Sitcoms are bad at this.
Yeah, but I kind of give them a pass on it, because if they didn't do it he would just be pathetic and no fun to watch. It is a comedy after all, making it too realistic would turn it into a drama, and not much entertainment.
I just wanted to point out that they do show nerds hooking up, they're not portrayed as total losers with women.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Erik wrote:
MarkD wrote:One thing they never touch on (and it would ruin the show if they did) is that nerds DO manage to make-the-beast-with-two-backs, generally at places where nerds congregate, like comic-con, ren faire, and (my personal experience) Mensa gatherings.
It's definitely part of the show.
"What happens at comic-con stays at comic-con."
I don't recall if that one was in reference to the Orion slave girl or the girl dressed as Sailor Moon, but that's just two incidents off the top of my head.

"Renaissance fairs aren’t about historical accuracy. They’re about taking chubby girls who work at Kinko’s and lacing them up in corsets so tight their bosom jumps out and says howdy."

Not to mention that even Raj, portrayed as totally hopeless with women, has hooked up with at least five women on screen (not counting Sailor Moon or the Orion slave girl).
True, I forgot about those episodes.

I was thinking more of Raj with the scared-of-her-own-shadow girl, or Howard reduced to going to weddings with his cousin. Or for that matter Sheldon and Amy, who in real life with real nerds would have had a coat hanger on his door knob within six hours of meeting.
Erik

Post by Erik »

MarkD wrote:True, I forgot about those episodes.

I was thinking more of Raj with the scared-of-her-own-shadow girl, or Howard reduced to going to weddings with his cousin. Or for that matter Sheldon and Amy, who in real life with real nerds would have had a coat hanger on his door knob within six hours of meeting.
I think that's really a testament to how good the writers and actors are. They can actually have them hook up several times, and still make them somewhat believable as not having any luck with women, because fans either forget or overlook the episodes when that happens.

Raj even got close to Summer Glau once, until Howard messed it up for him. And once he almost speed seduced Penny while Leonard and the others where sitting right beside them, just to show he could. That doesn't really fit with "cant get any women", but the show makes it work.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I just don't "get" that show. I think the canned laughter is what puts me off.

Then again, I do not enjoy most modern sitcoms. Modern Family is the exception.
Rod

Post by Rod »

rightisright wrote:I just don't "get" that show. I think the canned laughter is what puts me off.

Funny, I detest Modern Family. The only sane one on there is Ed O'Neil. Everyone else acts so stupid that they're not even funny, they're bad stereotypes.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Rod wrote:
rightisright wrote:I just don't "get" that show. I think the canned laughter is what puts me off.

Funny, I detest Modern Family. The only sane one on there is Ed O'Neil. Everyone else acts so stupid that they're not even funny, they're bad stereotypes.
I don't like Modern Family (although Sofia Verarga is seriously hot), or Mike and Molly (there's only so much traction you can get out of fat jokes). Unfortunately my wife likes both shows, so....

Then again, most TV bores me to tears. I use it mostly for movies.
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

MarkD wrote: I don't like Modern Family (although Sofia Verarga is seriously hot), or Mike and Molly (there's only so much traction you can get out of fat jokes). Unfortunately my wife likes both shows, so....

Then again, most TV bores me to tears. I use it mostly for movies.
I couldn't tell you what day or time Modern Family is on the tube. I watch it when I'm flipping through the channels and a syndicated episode pops on.

Amazon Prime, Netflix and some sports for me. I do also enjoy watching the Food Network while in the kitchen... as long as it isn't one of those hokey Fix My F'ed Up Restaurant type shows.
BobbyK

Post by BobbyK »

rightisright wrote:... as long as it isn't one of those hokey Fix My F'ed Up Restaurant type shows.
I love those... it amuses me that the best way to fix many of those places involve a couple gallons of diesel, and a road flare.
Rod

Post by Rod »

BobbyK wrote:
rightisright wrote:... as long as it isn't one of those hokey Fix My F'ed Up Restaurant type shows.
I love those... it amuses me that the best way to fix many of those places involve a couple gallons of diesel, and a road flare.
My wife watches them all the time and the two biggest problems are 1. Someone too stupid to run a toy train running the place, 2. people who don't understand basic sanitation and restaurant design (not necessarily in that order).
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist