A Halloween Sea Story

Keep it clean people, this is almost a family friendly site
Weetabix

Re: A Halloween Sea Story

Post by Weetabix »

Great story, tfbncc!
randy wrote:Probably H6. I know the bigger "devices" (MK-82,83,84 etc) contained H6 filler when deployed on carriers as it was more stable and therefore safer to handle and store aboard ship than the tritonal used to fill AF weapons.
That reminds me of the time I was designing a bomb unloading dock next to a railroad spur for the AF and lightning protection for the storage yard right next to it. Apparently, AF bomb transfer and holding facilities get hundreds of lightning strikes a year. Whodathunk?

That project included bonding and grounding on the RR line next to the jet fuel tank farm. One sergeant told me that when you look into the tank, you can see sparks shooting around in the fuel as the static electricity from the pumping dissipates. He told me they had to wait 30 minutes before you can stick the tank to gauge how much fuel they received. "We lost a few airmen before we figured that out."

AF sergeants have lots of good stories.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
randy

Post by randy »

JustinR wrote:This is why you go *AROUND* thunderstorms.
Yeah, unless you're heading home in the Gulf of Mexico in summer time in an aircraft that will NOT under any circumstances attempt to land at any open airports to the south of you*.

Even more fun tanking when threading between 2 thunder heads.

*A couple of those airfields would have been more than happy to let us land. Getting clearance to take off...not so much.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

randy wrote:
JustinR wrote:This is why you go *AROUND* thunderstorms.
Yeah, unless you're heading home in the Gulf of Mexico in summer time in an aircraft that will NOT under any circumstances attempt to land at any open airports to the south of you*.

*A couple of those airfields would have been more than happy to let us land. Getting clearance to take off...not so much.
I think I've flown that route before. Now, blow out the Nr. 3 engine, and see how much longer it takes to get to Barksdale!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

randy wrote:Yeah, unless you're heading home in the Gulf of Mexico in summer time in an aircraft that will NOT under any circumstances attempt to land at any open airports to the south of you*.

I understand there are extenuating circumstances, but generally, if you're going through the storm, you're doing it wrong. Of the impenetrable cold front squall lines I've seen, they generally don't tend to extend over open water. Sure, the cells get just as big over water, but you are able to maneuver around them individually. If they've broken the tropopause or you're in a turboprop and can't get over them, a couple miles either way usually reveals a hole to punch through, especially at mid altitudes below the anvil tops.

Actually, my biggest problem is with the aircraft commander/pilot not telling his crew to get everything and everyone strapped and belted in before attempting to penetrate any weather. They should have know better.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
randy

Post by randy »

JustinR wrote: but generally, if you're going through the storm, you're doing it wrong.
Yep. A good part of every sim ride when I went through during RADAR Nav training was dealing with thunderstorm avoidance.

Though my "180 degree turn, full afterburner" was not considered the optimum solution. :mrgreen:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

but generally, if you're going through the storm, you're doing it wrong.
Yeah, we would normally have done an end run around the storms if possible, but the feeder band extended completely across our flight path. We didn't have the fuel to go 100 nm out of our way.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

tfbncc wrote:Yeah, we would normally have done an end run around the storms if possible, but the feeder band extended completely across our flight path. We didn't have the fuel to go 100 nm out of our way.
That would be one of the extenuating circumstances. :D
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL