If I had a restaurant..

Keep it clean people, this is almost a family friendly site
Greg

Re: If I had a restaurant..

Post by Greg »

CByrneIV wrote:
Highspeed wrote: It was roadside burger vans or greasy spoon cafes for us peasants ( and boy, do I miss them.... )
I cannot tell you how often I think "Christ, I'd kill for a chipper right now. I could murder a sausage and chips"
Or a hot dog cart. I could do with a dog with mustard right now myself, and maybe a knish.

Even simple cheap 'greasy' food can be done with care, with quality (if simple and cheap) ingredients. You can tell. Much better than the processed - with ingredients you can't pronounce - stuff.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

We have some food trucks here in San Diego:

A Brats truck
IMG_4425_Brats_Food_Truck_x1024.JPG

A line of food trucks
IMG_4474_Food_Trucks_x1024.JPG

A food truck menu
IMG_4427_Food_Truck_Menu_x1024.JPG
The British fish truck (why I was there in the first place - http://www.godsavethecuisine.com/) had old-fashioned Fish & Chips, but they weren't as good as the old H Salt Fish & Chips of old.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
randy

Post by randy »

Mmmmmmm, I could go for a Cubano right about now....
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

CByrneIV wrote:
Highspeed wrote: It was roadside burger vans or greasy spoon cafes for us peasants ( and boy, do I miss them.... )
I cannot tell you how often I think "Christ, I'd kill for a chipper right now. I could murder a sausage and chips"
Mate, I'm the same. I've come to terms with the ' Mediterranean diet ' in a lot of ways, and it hasn't been all that difficult.
I don't like seafood but I do like rice and pasta based meals with chicken , so I'm OK.

But fish and chips...I miss that a lot. You can get it in the coastal resorts which cater for the British tourist trade but we avoid those places like the plague.

Of course we can make it ourselves, but it's not the same as going to the local chip shop and getting it cooked for you.
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Here are a few more shots from my visiting the food trucks.

From the Exotic Sausages/Brats truck
IMG_4457_Exotic_Sausages_x1024.JPG
God Save The Cuisine British food truck
IMG_4431_God_Save_Cuisine_x1024.jpg
God Save The Cuisine British food truck partial menu
IMG_4433_GSC_Menu_x1024.JPG
Super Q (BBQ) food truck
IMG_4448_Super_Q_Truck_x1024.JPG
Super Q (BBQ) food truck menu
IMG_4444_Super_Q_Menu_x1024.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

My missis worked in a couple of chip shops back in the day ( as an aside one was owned by Indian Sikhs who are just about the nicest and most honourable people you could wish to meet )

The sausages used for battering were always the cheapest catering grade available. I think they contained more sawdust than meat. But yes, the battered sausage is a fine creation, it's more than the sum of it's parts...
One cultural difference between the Irish 'chipper' and the Brit chip shop must be mustard. I don't think I have ever seen mustard available on a chip shop counter in the UK
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Interestingly, I see those high end food trucks pretty much everyday, and the run of the mill carts by the dozen, but almost none of them are "selling", comes with working in the main service area for food vendors in the city...
Last edited by HTRN on Sun May 04, 2014 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

The food trucks will probably will be my only way to try gator.

Denis

Post by Denis »

CByrneIV wrote:A couple battered sausages with mustard, a bag of chips, salt and vinegar...
Not keen on battered sausages, myself, but I do like spiceburgers (for those who don't know, think of bread-based turkey-stuffing in a breaded case, like potato croquettes).

Highspeed, I never noticed the lack of mustard in UK chippies, but you are definitely ahead of us in chipnology, as Irish chippers don't serve mushy peas :-) There seems to be a regional variation in the UK as to the vinegar too - we always have malt (brown), but I have seen white vinegar in parts of England and Scotland. Maybe it's cheaper?

308Mike, those fancy food vans are making me ravenous, and I just had lunch!
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

308Mike wrote:The food trucks will probably will be my only way to try gator.
Mike, there used to be a "cajun" restaurant down on Broadway. It was downstairs as you came in the building. They had gator on the menu. Of course this was a few years back (almost 20).
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona