One for the Old School geeks

Keep it clean people, this is almost a family friendly site
Cybrludite

One for the Old School geeks

Post by Cybrludite »

2013-05-20_office_phone.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
randy

Re: One for the Old School geeks

Post by randy »

:mrgreen: :ugeek:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Greg

Post by Greg »

In a couple of years nobody is going to believe us when we tell stories of faxes and modems and dialup speeds. And when we talk about slip and ppp they'll put us in homes. :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
BobbyK

Post by BobbyK »

How about good old UUCP?
Greg

Post by Greg »

BobbyK wrote:How about good old UUCP?
Like BITNET, that's something I've seen, I know what it is, but am glad I never had to deal with it directly.

I suspect we can borrow from Carlin and lump any technologies and technologists from before our time into 'old and crusty' and from after our time into 'spoiled young whippersnappers'.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Hell, the last "under the hood" technology I mastered was tip-and-ring. You young whippersnappers.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Denis

Post by Denis »

PawPaw wrote:Hell, the last "under the hood" technology I mastered was tip-and-ring. You young whippersnappers.
LOL.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

To show the age of that humor, the first question would be "Who the hell is Cameron Diaz?"
And where, once again, the answer "ancient technology" would suffice to explain.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

When I first worked at Big Aerospace Company, they had us using a fax machine that had a chamber with a rotating cylinder. You put the sheet of paper in and this sensor would gradually track from one end of the cylinder to the other, reading or printing the image on the paper. Sort of like an Edison phonograph with the wax cylinders. And this was in 1983!
As a coworker said once, "We just make high-tech stuff -- we don't use it."
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Niiiiiiice.

That technology was showcased as cutting-edge in Bullitt, which premiered in 1968. :lol:
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"