One for the Old School geeks

Keep it clean people, this is almost a family friendly site
Cybrludite

Re: One for the Old School geeks

Post by Cybrludite »

Weetabix wrote:Does anyone remember the Eliza program that loaded from a cassette tape and ran on (IIRC) a TRS-80? It was the precursor to chatbots. It could hold a conversation with you that was indistinguishable (to a young teenage boy) from conversations with real people. Granted conversation from most real people isn't that stellar. But I remember being impressed with it.

Can you still get programs like that? It was amusing.
What do you think we all really are? :lol:
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I always assumed that "They" was a slip by the Glaroon where he revealed one of his early plans for me, but I still enjoy interacting with all of you chatbots. 8-)
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
toad

Post by toad »

I remember when we upgraded our shop's NC machines. We went from paper tape to mylar tape!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

toad wrote:I remember when we upgraded our shop's NC machines. We went from paper tape to mylar tape!
The first shop I worked in had a lone tape reader. It was the first NC machine they ever bought. By the time I started there in the mid 90s, it was only used for one thing - facing off parts for third operations.. It would run the same tape on an end less loop. Every other CNC in the shop, even the horrible Bridgeport Boss mills, were digital.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Odahi

Post by Odahi »

When I went to work at NASA Ames in 1998, we were still using 1" tape recorders in the two Blackhawks we were using for flight testing. It was an interesting (to me) set-up, the recorders were almost a cube, with the spools stacked one above the other. It could turn into a big mess, in a hurry.
Birds gotta swim, fish gotta fly, assholes gotta ass, until the day they die.

"Common sense" is an oxymoron.