You know you are not a nice person when

Keep it clean people, this is almost a family friendly site
308Mike

Re: You know you are not a nice person when

Post by 308Mike »

Erik wrote:
308Mike wrote:
Yogimus wrote:An owl's talons grasp with more force than the strongest mammal's bite.

Think about that.
Not true. I'm quite sure a Hyena's bite force is a LOT stronger than an owl's grasp.
"A Great Horned’s talons is reputed to be an incredible 500 lbs psi"
A hyenas bite is 1100lbs psi

Other links I found seem to agree with those values. But pound for pound the owl wins.
I've noted several data items showing the hyena's bite a MUCH strong than 1100 psi, including Wiki:
Combined with large jaw muscles and a special vaulting to protect the skull against large forces, these characteristics give the spotted hyena a powerful bite which can exert a pressure of 800 kgf/cm2 (11,400 lbf/in²),[39] which is 40% more force than a leopard can generate.[40] The jaws of the spotted hyena outmatch those of the brown bear in bonecrushing ability,[41] and free ranging hyenas have been observed to crack open the long bones of giraffes measuring 7 cm in diameter.[42]
The one I saw prior to my other post listed 4500 psi, so I was surprised when you listed one at 1100 psi, which seems rather low since the wolverine's bite is listed at approx 1200 psi.
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

Eurasian eagle owl... 1200 PSI.

No, I can't cite my source, I am drunk and lazy. It was on the teevee.
Termite

Post by Termite »

When I was a young lad, I shot a red tail hawk that was using our chicken yard as a snack bar. I crippled it, but didn't kill it. I then foolishly walked up and kicked the hell out of it, wearing sneakers. It did a backwards roll, then hopped forward, and latched onto my foot with it's talons. Imagine 8 6-penny nails being inserted into your foot...... :shock:
I nearly beat my lower leg and foot to a pulp with a cattle stick, trying to get it off.

My father thought the whole episode quite hilarious........ :roll:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
toad

Post by toad »

Hmmm, A raptor's talon may not have the pressure per square inch that a Hyena's jaw does but the lower pressure of the bird may be initially applied to the smaller surface area of the talon's point for greater penetration as opposed to shear and crush??
If I remember correctly a hawk primarily secures the prey with it's talons and dismembers it with it's beak. A shrike, for a counter example, doesn't have enough talon strength to hold it's prey and shred it, so it will impale a mouse on a thorn bush or a barb wire fence, and then slice and dice with it's beak. We've had city folk scream satanic sacrifices because they find a bunch of butchered rodents on fence when it was just the dining table for some shrikes.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Pounds per square inch...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Jeffro

Post by Jeffro »

Netpackrat wrote:This is all kinds of wrong....
Wrong, but totally awesome.
A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.

Shane
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

308Mike wrote:Typical liberal, they want to dictate everything to everyone else until THEY get affected, then they don't want to follow their own advice!!
That is the essence of leftism. "I want you to distort your life to uphold my principals, but if I or mine gets hurt, the gloves are off." So many Leftists have reported that they were against capital punishment until family was killed, then they wanted the murderer to be sent through a cusinart feet first.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy