Ultra magical tax system that I don't know about
No votes
Current system
No votes
All of the above plus some extra fees to go with your taxes
No votes
Magic Brownies (new and improved!)
7%
Screw it, where's the Assless Chaps of The Apocalypse?
10%

Total votes: 30

Dub_James

Flat Tax or Sales Tax?

Post by Dub_James »

Don't remember any discussions on this topic before, in this or the previous forum. Seems pertinent now that the Big O will tax us all to ecstasy.

So which is preferable, a simplified Flat system, or one that collects on Sales? Or something else?

Enlighten us, oh wise ones.
Last edited by Dub_James on Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Bullspit

Re: Flat Tax or Sales Tax?

Post by Bullspit »

I didn't see a choice for "All of the above plus some extra fees to go with your taxes."

All taxes are coercive and evil. But that said, we have to pay for our obligations. The problem is that we (through our government) continue to accept more obligations.

You aren't likely to see a change in the current tax system. The bloated tax code is just too nice a setup for congress to use to reward its friends and punish its enemies, shape behavior and hide how corrupt things are.

So you can expect to see more taxes, higher tax rates, especially if you actually pay income tax, tax rebates for those who pay no taxes, more fees and higher sales tax. I wouldn't be shocked to see someone introduce a Value Added Tax but I doubt it will get passed.
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

"I didn't see a choice for "All of the above plus some extra fees to go with your taxes."
You didn't? I was sure I put...oh there it is ;)

You mean the BHO plan, right? :lol:

Tis true enough we'll probably see more taxes. I'm interested more in what would be the preferred system, given the choice.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Jered

Post by Jered »

Switch over to using magical brownies as currency. That way, the moonbats will be too busy eating them to remember to vote.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Rich Jordan

Post by Rich Jordan »

I used to like the flat tax idea but not unless its accompanied by something at the level of a constitutional amendment that prevents raising the rate except by supermajority vote of both houses, and only in the 6 months prior to a general election. Reduction may take place at any time with a simple majority vote of both houses. If we could get rid of withholding at the same time, so much the better. It would be far too easy to change (read raise without immediately noticeable impact on the taxpayers) without the restrictions.

Sales tax has the benefit of immediate feedback to the taxpayers and also provides the most control to them as to how much tax to pay; want that flat screen? The government thanks you for your tax contribution. Keep your money in your mattress and doo all your shopping in resale outlets and clearance stores? Your right to do so. Amendment would say supermajority needed as above for any increase, and any tax increase must be in place and in effect at least 60 and no more than 180 days prior to a general election. No tax increase may be submitted, debated, voted on in the legislative year after a general election. No restrictions on decrease, as above.

Might as well ask for it all, eh?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I would support the flat tax over the sales tax, because no matter what else is done, the feds are NOT going to repeal the 16th amendment. Not going to happen. So, if they cancel the income tax, and replace it with a sales tax, the income tax will inevitably return at some later date, and then we will have both.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I think we should take a big step backwards and stop withholding from paychecks. If people had to cough up all their taxes on a regular basis, we'd have a taxpayer revolt in no time. Which, of course, is why there's withholding in the first place.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

*Dons assless chaps and stuff the money he owes the feds into them*

Hey Mr. Tax man. Come get your money!
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Netpackrat wrote:I would support the flat tax over the sales tax, because no matter what else is done, the feds are NOT going to repeal the 16th amendment. Not going to happen. So, if they cancel the income tax, and replace it with a sales tax, the income tax will inevitably return at some later date, and then we will have both.
i am afraid this is true , it will take a full blown revolution for the masters to give up their control.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Erik

Post by Erik »

Darrell wrote:I think we should take a big step backwards and stop withholding from paychecks. If people had to cough up all their taxes on a regular basis, we'd have a taxpayer revolt in no time. Which, of course, is why there's withholding in the first place.
That's why we have the "employer fee" here. It's "not a tax on the employees paycheck, it's just a fee the employers pays for every employee". The fee is 32% of the emplyees paycheck before taxes. But it's not an additional tax on the payroll. Really. Honest. :roll:
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne