Online/Work At Home Jobs

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Dub_James

Online/Work At Home Jobs

Post by Dub_James »

Looking at some of the work-from-home online jobs such as Transcribing, etc. for some evening work.

Anyone had any experience with them? I've heard there are some scams, but it seems that there are legit companies. Not looking to make a lot, just spend some time in the late afternoons and evenings.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn
And those heads that turn
Make my back, make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
randy

Re: Online/Work At Home Jobs

Post by randy »

Don't know if any of these trip your trigger, but I think the source (Kim Kommando) is reputable as far as not directing you to spam/scam sites.

http://www.komando.com/tips/363737/grea ... t-home/all
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Might be something for you to consider in MrMM's classic 50 jobs over $50K.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2013/07/ ... ee-part-1/
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Thanks for the information. Now I have to figure out how the tax end of things works out. Seems to be very little information on it. Are these people even paying tax??
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Precision

Post by Precision »

most are done as a 1099, so the taxes are on you.

I work (part time) as an on-line instructor at Sonoran Desert Institute (SDI.edu). Basically as a paper grader and part time interaction with the students. Roughly 25 hours a month for $1500 on a W-2.

Student assignments are due Sunday at midnight and my grading them is due by Wed at midnight. I have to interact with them in a forum area as well. Usually about 5-7 hours of work per week. Dreadfully boring, but fairly easy stuff.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

I have to do this for the State too. Jeez, who ever said the tax code didn't discourage working??

Would be nice if there was somewhere that explained the entire thing, start to finish. I don't hold out much hope for irs.gov to be that place.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

Dub_James wrote:I have to do this for the State too. Jeez, who ever said the tax code didn't discourage working??

Would be nice if there was somewhere that explained the entire thing, start to finish. I don't hold out much hope for irs.gov to be that place.
It's called estimated taxes. Setup a separate checking account, withhold 25% on yourself, and mail that to the IRS every quarter.

There's a bit more involved, but that's the basics. Last time I looked into it I searched Freelance Estimated Taxes in google and read 3-4 of the top hits that weren't advertisements for CPA services.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

But that only covers Federal. It seems the state needs the same process done. And it's difficult to find information about how this works with existing earnings, or how it works with Married Filing Jointly existing earnings.

The whole thing's a mess.
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult
Rustyv

Post by Rustyv »

Understood. Texas doesn't have a state income tax so I didn't even consider it.

I'd expect appending your state name to the above search would probably turn up what you're looking for.

Worst case, find a tax preparer and see what they'd charge you to talk through your situation.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
Dub_James

Post by Dub_James »

Think it's time for a new version of TurboTax :)
Oh, the heads that turn
Make my back burn

-She Sells Sanctuary
The Cult