School me on metal detectors

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Weetabix

School me on metal detectors

Post by Weetabix »

It's like I've got a theme going here.

My kids and I have been having fun throwing knives in the back yard. Started with 9. Now have 4. So 5 are buried in the grass. And it's getting time to mow.

Any thoughts on a metal detector that's affordable but not so cheap that I'd never use it again?

Anyone have any good metal detecting stories?

Fire away!
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Steamforger

Re: School me on metal detectors

Post by Steamforger »

Meh. If you're just looking to recover the knives check in with a local club and ask for hand.

If you want to start turning over some dirt though....

I'd suggest checking out Aquachigger's yootoobz channel. He's pretty partial to the Garret AT Pro. Many other yootoobs MD folks use it as well. You'll want to not even look at most anything with Minelab written on it. I've bought cars for less than their CTX line retails for.

Fisher and Whites are still around and are comparable in price with the Garret.

My Granddad used to leave his day job at Angola State Pen and sneak off into Port Hudson after hours with a metal detector. He'd bring home fused 30# Parrotts and Schenkels. I have some pics back at the office. I may scan and add if I haven't in the past. A lot of items in the Port Hudson battlefield museum were found by him.

One day he and his buddies were "defusing" a mortar round in the front yard. One would hold it steady, one would drill a couple of small holes, and the third would be using a hose to keep the bit sort of cool and flush out filler once both holes were done. The drill broke through on the first hole and suddenly there was a loud and prolonged "hiissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss" as gasses escaped. All three went hauling ass in different directions Three Stooges style. As luck would have it, Our Lady of Perpetual Agony's 0800 mass was letting out and the parking lot /directly/ across from the house was extremely busy. Some old 'yat slows to a stop in front of the yard and waits for Granddad and Co. to recover. When they're slowly easing back up on the round this woman says "Whaddya got dere? A bomb???" They all look at each other and agree to move the DIY EOD to the back yard. Like that would have helped anything.
Last edited by Steamforger on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

PM me. I've got a like new unit with original packaging I can make you a sweet deal on. Bought it from local prospector shop for a hearing aide search and just used it that one day.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Email sent.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Steamforger's story reminds me - I live in an old neighborhood. It's an old subdivision, and the first homes were built before 1900. One day, I saw a guy metal detecting between the sidewalk and the street. He said you can sometimes find old silver change in areas like that. Whooda thunk?
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Weet,
Musta got stuck in a spam filter or something, can't see a PM. Try my gmail <dwmattix> or get me on the Guncounter facebook
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

off topic, there is a GC facebook group?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Do you own a rake?
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Netpackrat wrote:Do you own a rake?
Haven't had any luck with that.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I used to go for Sunday dinner at #3 brother's when they lived here in town. I went over one such Sunday afternoon to find brother and his wife on their hands and knees in the back yard, scrabbling around madly. It seems she chose to wear a $5,000 tennis bracelet while mowing the yard, and golly, it disappeared out there somewhere. They never did find it, doubtless sprayed diamonds and gold all over the yard. :roll:
Eppur si muove--Galileo