My flying car has arrived...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Denis

My flying car has arrived...

Post by Denis »

I just set eyes up close on the Aeromobil flying car prototype from Slovakia. Amazing. 900km endurance, 260 km/hr cruising speed and it runs on regular 95 octane petrol. Room inside for two adults and their luggage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzYb68qXpD0

www.aeromobil.com
MarkD

Re: My flying car has arrived...

Post by MarkD »

Shit, people scare the crap out of me on the roads NOW when they can only control their cars in two dimensions. I can't imagine what they'd do on the airborne version of the Garden State Parkway if they can move in three dimensions while simultaneously texting, changing the radio station, yelling at the kids and lighting a cigarette and they realize they're on level 7 on the far left and their a half-mile from their exit on level 1 on the right.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Looks like a shitty car that turns into a shitty plane.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Hey, it's a flying car!!! Even Henry Ford had to start somewhere!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Rich

Post by Rich »

Give it points for marketing if nothing else.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Don't get me wrong, it looks better than all previous attempts. But what that thing is likely to cost, will buy one hell of a lot of airplane plus multiple decent cars to position wherever you may be commuting to. Besides which, you don't want your airplane on the road. Even the most minor of fender-benders would become a very expensive, grounding event.

Also, it appears to require gas that is not available in Alaska at any station, at any price. 90 octane is what they call premium here. And even that is not generally available outside the bigger communities. Many of the places you would want to fly, you are lucky to find 87.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Denis

Post by Denis »

Netpackrat wrote:Also, it appears to require gas that is not available in Alaska at any station, at any price. 90 octane is what they call premium here. And even that is not generally available outside the bigger communities. Many of the places you would want to fly, you are lucky to find 87.
Interesting. Regular petrol here is 95 octane. The premium stuff is 98.

I suspect the Aeromobil is not a great road vehicle, and what you say about accidents is clearly true. However, I was impressed by seeing the machine for real, and talking to the developers/inventors yesterday. Their enthusiasm for the concept is infectious, and I hope they succeed... I still want my flying car!
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

meh, everyone's a critic.

Slovakia, eh? Who'd a thunk it. Good on 'em.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Huh. All I want is a C-123 sized aircraft to turn into a flying RV with room for a jeep-sized runabout ground vehicle.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

If you want to be the belle of the ball at your next fly-in, this is just the ticket. As I see it, it has the same problem as all "flying cars." Everything that makes a great airplane makes a lousy car, and vice-versa.

I want the flying Winnebago from Popular Mechanics.
"If at first you don't succeed, that's one data point." XKCD