Washing machine recommendations?

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
HTRN

Re: Washing machine recommendations?

Post by HTRN »

Odahi wrote:It's been our observation that the clothes come out much cleaner than in the old top-loader. And ours are high efficiency units, so w4e don't use nearly as much detergent or fabric softener as we used to.
That directly contradicts everything I've heard about the new high efficiency washers, especially when using phosphate free detergent. Almost to a person, they've all complained about them doing a shity job compared to the machine it replaced.

Oh, and here's a hint: a scoop of tsp added to the laundry does wonders :ugeek: .
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
evan price

Post by evan price »

I buy common brand (whirlpool or frigidaire make most of them anyway) because parts availability on line is easy.
I usually buy from ApplianceSmart, a scratch & dent abd overstock supply house. Or lightly used on Craigslist.
I prefer models with heavy duty high capacity features and limited or no electronics. Top load only.
I used to get truckloads of used appliances from the now-closed appliance dealer in town for free, they hauled off old ones for free. I'd make good ones from parts, get singles or assemble sets, sell them in the Penny Saver, scrap the rest. Those were the days. People would have the dryer or washer crap out, then buy both. Often I only needed a simple repair. This was before electronics.

Every person I know who went to front loaders had issues quickly- leaks, odors, etc.
My wife's vet practice has one they use only for washing towels and other such bedding, once or twice a week. They are on their third machine in six years.
The Frigidaire direct drive top load washers work well, no belts to slip, but the couplers are the engineered weak spot. Luckily they are cheap.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
randy

Post by randy »

evan price wrote: People would have the dryer or washer crap out, then buy both.
I once got a washer/dryer set for $20 because the couple was moving on base with a washer/dryer supplied, and the dryer didn't work.

Short trip to an appliance repair shop, one new heating element, and no more schlepping laundry back and forth outdoors to the apartment complex laundromat.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I gave away a dryer the other day that I couldn't use, because it was electric and I need gas. Had to take the dryer because the guy selling them wouldn't separate, and the washer was the only one of the type I needed on Craigslist at the time. It stained a bunch of our clothes, and then died after 3 weeks.

Previous owner of my house basically built a closet around the front loading washer/dryer stack, and all was OK until a few years ago when that series was discontinued. Everything made today is too big to fit, so when one of the machines dies, I have to find one on Craigslist or the local used appliance place, because I don't want to remodel. I'd replaced the gas dryer when the machines were still in production (would have replaced the washer too at that time had I only known what was to happen), and it seems OK for now, but it's been a constant pain in the ass. Was without any washer for about 6 weeks this spring while I tried to source a set of smaller machines that will fit in the hole, and the appliance place that tried to order it somehow either fucked it up, or got fucked by their distributor, and wound up refunding my money and I went back to the used appliance place for the same old thing.
Last edited by Netpackrat on Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Steamforger

Post by Steamforger »

I use a Huebsch frontloader we have at work.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

HTRN wrote:Oh, and here's a hint: a scoop of tsp added to the laundry does wonders :ugeek: .
Where does one get real tsp anymore? Isn't the box that's labeled tsp something else nowadays? Or is that the one you're talking about?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D