Tree Sap/Bug/Tar Remover

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Darrell

Tree Sap/Bug/Tar Remover

Post by Darrell »

I had a minor hail storm a week or two ago, my car was parked under a nasty ass cottonwood tree. It wound up with tree sap and cottonwood catkin bits stuck all over it. A couple of trips through the car wash proved fruitless. What works well as a remover? The last commercial remover I tried didn't work worth a darn. I've heard of using WD40, but I wonder how it might affect the car's finish. Suggestions?
Eppur si muove--Galileo
scipioafricanus

Re: Tree Sap/Bug/Tar Remover

Post by scipioafricanus »

http://www.goofoffproducts.com/

Just test it somewhere safe.
If there is a Stairway to Heaven, is there an Escalator to Hell?
If God wanted men to play soccer, he wouldn’t have given us arms. - Mike Ditka
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

Denatured alcohol. Isopropyl will work in a pinch.
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

We used to use diesel for getting all manner of weird shit off our cars.

ETA: I don't know how diesel reacts to today's finishes. It never hurt enamel that I recall.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

rightisright wrote:Denatured alcohol. Isopropyl will work in a pinch.
Isopropyl doesn't seem to work worth a shit for taking bugs off a 737 windshield, but at least it doesn't hurt the airplane.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

Coming from a furniture guy - I use mineral spirits to clean the kitchen cabinets. It is a relatively weak, slow and benign solvent that works well. It will quickly remove frying grease build up. It is weak enough to not effect the lacquer finish and I just do the wipe on wipe off thing. On a car finish there may be a bit of a residue that can then be taken off with something like a glass cleaner. ymmv --
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.
D5CAV

Post by D5CAV »

I go into the woods a lot, so I always get pine sap on my pickup. I use 90% alcohol I buy at walgreens for about $1 a bottle. Works fine for me. I'm not sure I'd use it on a Rolls Royce, but I drive a 15 year old pickup with original paint.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.” Johann Wolfgang von Goethe