Sunglasses

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Weetabix

Sunglasses

Post by Weetabix »

I realized years ago that my ability to see is about the only thing that, if lost, would irreparably damage my career. Being a chairbound engineer, I only really need to be able to see and communicate somehow.

To protect my eye longevity, I've been buying cheap, polarized Wayfarer knockoffs from Amazon for some time now, but I'm ready to try some real sunglasses. Being an engineer, I'm more interested in performance and value than in appearance, though appearance is nice, too. :geek:

UV protection: WebMD says I want 99-100% UVA and UVB protection.

Polarization: I like polarization. It means I often have to tip them to read a phone or tablet screen, but I like polarization enough that I don't mind.

Durability: Want.

Cost: I like to maximize the performance/price ratio, so a much higher price for a small incremental increase in performance isn't so interesting. That said, much higher durability, I'll pay for.

Name brand cachet: Nice to have, but I wouldn't pay much for it. Value is more important.

My big head: I have a big melon head, so I'm guessing metal frames would be better to shape to the long distance from my face to the back of my ears, but I'm open to different opinions. Trying them on is probably not optional, so I'll need to shop at a brick and mortar store.

Am I forgetting any factors?

Anybody have any brand recommendations based on all that?

Available places to shop that I can think of: Bass Pro, Academy Sports, MC Sports, Sunglass Hut, Walgreens. I suppose if I found just the thing, I could look online for a screaming deal, but I tend to buy local when possible unless the price is stupid.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
rightisright

Re: Sunglasses

Post by rightisright »

I have a melon head, too. Wire frames work better for me. I wear prescription aviator types. The bigger lenses mesh well w. my beach ball noggin.

For work, I can wear straight arm safety sunglasses like these rather comfortably: http://www.amazon.com/Edge-Eyewear-SR11 ... sunglasses
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Might be a good idea to talk to an optometrist. Just sayin'.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I tend to wear rather inexpensive sunglasses. Had a pair I paid $100 for many years ago, probably cost twice or more that now. They were great until I stepped on them.

:roll:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Old Grafton wrote:Might be a good idea to talk to an optometrist. Just sayin'.
That would be ideal, but I'd end up with very expensive sunglasses, and I'd break them. :D

But, maybe...
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Another vote for large aviator glasses.
And if you can, with cable (wrap-around) earpieces, not bayonet-style (slide-on).
The former don't fall off when you move your head downward.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Still wearing the same set of Serengeti Navigators I bought in 1999 while working on my pilot's license.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Aesop wrote:Another vote for large aviator glasses.
And if you can, with cable (wrap-around) earpieces, not bayonet-style (slide-on).
The former don't fall off when you move your head downward.
I have a very large head (hat size 7 1/2), and true aviators don't go up large enough, I think only 58 mm lenses. What i wear is a pair of aviator styled glasses from rayban, with 64mm lenses.
Also, the shooting glass legs irritate my temples because the have a tendency to dig in.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I went to the optical shop in the local Wally World. They had some polarized, UV protection wrap around type sunglasses that keep peripheral light from leaking in the sides. I bought them.

My one fear was that I'd look like an old man with the sunglasses that go over regular glasses. My son says they look OK, so I guess I'm fine. :D

$19. So, utility, function, and no glaring fashion faux pas. I'll call it a win.
McClarkus

Post by McClarkus »

$7.50 for plastic clip-on, flip-ups at Wally World. I'm getting to be on the bat side of blind with no radar so it no longer matters. I gave up caring about what I look like a while back and push the crabby old man genre to the max anyway so it no longer matters that much. The thing that helps me the most is a ball cap with the led lights built into the brim so I can see up close on demand. A more high powered headlight is used in the shop to help out in dark corners.
One secret to life. Step #1 - Find something you enjoy doing. Step #2 - Find someone foolish enough to pay you to do it.