Kotsonya

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Old Grafton

Kotsonya

Post by Old Grafton »

Basically, pork Jello. Take 3 smoked pork hocks, boil until everything falls off bones, let cool, remove bones, dice chunks of meat/hide, refrigerate. After all has solidified skim off excess fat, discard, chop up n add vegetables to your taste like celery, carrots, onions, peppers, heat again til vegetables are tender, chill again, add paprika if desired. Eat cold. The Brits call it aspic, we Huns call it good!
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
blackeagle603

Re: Kotsonya

Post by blackeagle603 »

Hmmm, collagen source. Basically pork bone broth with chunky stuff.

Dear wife is loving her latest a new cookbook. "The Ketogenic Cookbook" by Jimmy Moore and Maria Emmerich (sp?). Tasty, tasty stuff.

I cooked up large pot of bone broth last week. The froze a pile of ~1/2 cup portions using a cupcake tin as a mold.

Bought ~6 lbs of beef bones at the butcher, Mostly bones with joints and knuckles for the collagen and a couple good marrow loaded femurs.

That pile filled our very large crockpot about 3/4 up. Covered those (just) with water, added a couple teaspoons of vinegar, simmered 24 hours on low in the crockpot. Interesting brew, that. Got the mega collagen and glycinate source on tap now for evening cup hot brew and as stock for recipes.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I was on a train from London to Lille once, and I ordered pickled pork in aspic jelly. I probably wouldn't have ordered it if I'd seen it first, but it was great. Sounds like what you're describing, but I don't think there were vegetables in it.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

Without the vegetables, we here in the South call it head cheese.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

PawPaw wrote:Without the vegetables, we here in the South call it head cheese.
That's what it's called in the German delis in the other LA, too.
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy