How secure do you feel in your livelihood?

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Vonz90

Re: How secure do you feel in your livelihood?

Post by Vonz90 »

JustinR wrote:I doubt automation will become fault and error tolerant enough to make airliners into UAV's within my lifetime.

If so, I'll move on to spacecraft. :)

Far in the future, there will be a transition period where one pilot will sit at a base station and monitor 20-30 flights, just like a dispatcher. If something goes wrong, you flip the switch and you're directly controlling that aircraft now. That will provide job security for a much smaller number of pilots once the automation fully kicks in, and even then lightning can still decide to ruin your whole day.
They could have automated trains 30 years ago or more, but they didn't and I don't think they will in my lifetime even if the engineer is a passenger most of the time. There is more to the equation than technical feasibility. Aircraft even doubly so.
evan price

Post by evan price »

I'm a contractor for a global firm that has almost no competitors because the field is small but very technical. I'm permanently stationed at a specific customers' job site. In theory the customer could decide they don't want 24/7/365 on site service techs, or they don't want to continue operations at this location.
Since the customer operates 24/7/365 and this location is one of their global hubs, and we are also supporting other customers' areas out of state, I'm not too worried.
In trends of automation, I've been known to tell the operators- when they complain about the machines not being able to do tasks that a human should be able to notice, such as knowing the operator loaded the wrong supplies, "i can automate these to the point we don't need operators any more."
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
Termite

Post by Termite »

JustinR wrote:I doubt automation will become fault and error tolerant enough to make airliners into UAV's within my lifetime.
Judging from the performance of the pilots on Asiana Flight 214......... :roll:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

I feel pretty good about my livelihood, but then again, I'm an old fart and I'll be retired in four or five years. Earlier if they pss me off.

Heh!
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

That is why I like being in a job shop. We do stuff that isn't worth the cost to tool up production on. Automation isn't free.
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Termite wrote:
Judging from the performance of the pilots on Asiana Flight 214......... :roll:
Even Airbus can't fix stupid, ala Air France 447.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Due to technology and automation? Very little. I'm the guy who makes it go.

Due to my workplace slowly spiraling into the shitter? I wonder if it's going to make it to the end of the year. I would like to retire.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Precision

Post by Precision »

The wife and I started our own business about a year ago. She works full time at it. I help out a bit. I work a counter at a gun store for margin money to insure against the hiccups of a start up. Low wages but dependable and flexible. Within the next few months I will go all in on our new gig.

Additionally, we are doing a gun related manufacturing gig with some partners and the wife has a part time (invite only) marketing company. So we are diversified into at least three income streams.

Not terribly worried they will all go TU. But the main one is at the mercy of Amazon which does have a rather capricious track record, but hey.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

I'm not very secure, but it has nothing to do with automation. I just make poor career choices, apparently.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

My job involves making judgements about a wide variety of existing conditions in the real world in tight, dark places. One of our subcontractors uses a "robot" to collect data, and his machine can't normally get to the places a man can. I'm probably good for a while.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D