Awesome Hawk Attack

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
toad

Re: Awesome Hawk Attack

Post by toad »

I wouldn't want that lady to get pissed at me for any reason. Can you imagine bending over to pick up something and getting two high speed talons on your behind. :o
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I worked with a guy who was attacked by a great horned owl while turkey hunting. He hit his gobbler call at first light and got a face full of owl talons about a second later. It flew away when it realized that he was not really a turkey, but he had some nice claw marks /stitches in his forehead.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

A LLOONG time ago I was 17 and deer hunting in a tree stand at daybreak when a horned owl snatched the brown stocking cap off my head as I was slowly scanning my field of view. I did NOT crap my draws but I admit I DID wet 'em a bit.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Best one though was (agaih, deer-hunting from a treestand) when I had been spotted by a red squirrel who was busily bitching at me from across th trail when an owl scooped his noisy ass into the hereafter.... :lol:
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

I sat in on a presentation by anthropologist Lauren McGough a couple of years ago. She spent several years living and flying with the eagle hunters in Mongolia. Rabbits and fox are the primary prey, not wolves and deer. They do *occasionally* catch wolves, but the Mongolian wolves are only about the size of a coyote. Also, even the largest golden recorded was 15lbs....10-14 is more common. 20 would be truly massive.

Also, I've handled one. This "small" male was about 10lbs
DSCN2382.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

The largest Eastern Golden Eagle was captured in the Tien Shan mountains in 1968, and she weighed, IIRC, 26 lbs at maturity.

Read "Bird of Jove" by David Bruce.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Denis

Post by Denis »

The golden eagles in Scotland where we go deer stalking know to follow the guns. They often circle quite close, as if to say "hurry up with my dinner!".
Greg

Post by Greg »

Now I need to figure out what kind of hawk lives in the trees just behind my back yard.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
JKosprey

Post by JKosprey »

Greg wrote:Now I need to figure out what kind of hawk lives in the trees just behind my back yard.
If you can get a pic, post it here.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

When I was working nights, I was privileged to see resident horned owls silently dive bomb the property's rabbits, and to occasionally see one perched near the entrance. Too cool.

We have some resident red tailed hawks at work too, often see them soaring/hunting over and around the building. We've also had some different hawks arrive during winter, doing some research and talking with experts, they appear to be ferruginous hawks. Their behavior and flying is markedly different than the red winged hawks, larger, less agile, and lower flying. We'd often see them nailing small rodents out behind the plant.
Eppur si muove--Galileo