Would a GunCounter Trader's Board Be A Membership Builder?

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Old Grafton

Would a GunCounter Trader's Board Be A Membership Builder?

Post by Old Grafton »

Just a random thought... Would a "For Sale/Trade" Board help build membership/traffic? Charge a small percentage to help defray costs of running the GunCounter in general? PITA not worth it? Thoughts? STFU? Fire away! (Preparing to Repel Boarders :lol: )
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Erik

Re: Would a GunCounter Trader's Board Be A Membership Build

Post by Erik »

My experience from other forums is that a "For sale" board doesnt matter much for traffic or membership numbers. It's usually appreciated that its there, but it wont attract members or traffic on its own.

And unless its a huge and active forum it is usually not the best way to try and sell stuff. So it's the other way around, a big and active forum is good for the "for sale" board, but the "for sale" board doesnt impact the traffic much to the forum as a whole. People dont go to the forum to check what is for sale, they check what is for sale when they are at the forum anyway.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
Denis

Post by Denis »

I don't want to prejudge CC's opinion on this, but the policy of the moderators has generally been to permit members in good standing to draw attention to items they have for sale that could reasonably be expected to be of interest to the membership, provided they ask for permission in advance, and provided it's not on a regular or repetitive basis. In other words, if it's consistent with the theme and the "family" atmosphere of this forum. If you really need the classified or small ads, there are other and better portals.
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

I like the idea in general, but I don't see that it would be a big draw of members who would contribute on a regular basis. More of a convenience for current members.
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Durham68 wrote: More of a convenience for current members.
I'm pretty sure the word you were looking for was "temptation". :D
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

What if there was a promise of magic brownies with every purchase?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Jered

Post by Jered »

There are lots of places around here where the magical ingredient is readily available. :P
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Cybrludite

Post by Cybrludite »

If nothing else, it would probably boost the liability exposure of the forum.
"If it ain't the Devil's Music, you ain't doin' it right." - Chris Thomas King

"When liberal democracies collapse, someone comes along who promises to make the trains run on time if we load the right people into them." - Tam K.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Cybrludite wrote:If nothing else, it would probably boost the liability exposure of the forum.
Ah. That would be bad.

My first thoughts were, "If it doesn't help, but doesn't hurt, what's the harm." But I don't think like a lawyer.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D