Whitetail/Elk/Black Bear hunt possible...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
JAG2955

Re: Whitetail/Elk/Black Bear hunt possible...

Post by JAG2955 »

Okay, first trip completed, just have to drive back the 2,100 miles.

So Idaho Hunt: Part I: No Blood was not as rousing a success as it could have been.

Didn't see anything other than squirrels, bunnies, and some quail. Still lots of scat and rubs.

The high point was when I was able to trade a few bugles with a bull elk, and then later heard a cow elk reply to it. Then for fun, I hit my cow call, and they all shut up. Then the wind shifted and something over the next rise busted me, I heard a snort/growl/something, and it ran off.

I talked to my realtor/friend, who said that it's been too warm for big game to come down from the higher elevations.

Nevertheless, I had fun. I'm hoping that for Idaho Hunt: Part Deux: The Elkening: Reloaded to be more successful. It's hard to come into some unfamiliar territory when you have a Catch-22, do I walk more and find a better spot, or do I sit at the first decent spot and be as quiet as possible?

Still, I had fun. I'm hoping that for Part Deux I can get some company up there. With a buddy, I'll stay on the mountain overnight, avoid the drive and the climb up there (scratched the hell out of my nice truck on the brush), and get an earlier start. Might even have to camp in a few different spots to get to where I'd want to be by daylight.
toad

Post by toad »

I'm wondering if you could rent an ATV to get higher up :?:
Termite

Post by Termite »

toad wrote:I'm wondering if you could rent an ATV to get higher up :?:
Or a horse/mule......
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

JAG,
Your property anywhere around the Priest Lake area? That just came on my radar... friend looking at a business there (has some family there) and contemplating a jump north from San Dog.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'm just boggled by the driving.

I've driven MO <-> NJ a total of 5 one-way legs. About 1500 miles each way. I never want to do it again, though I probably will at some point.

How many times now have you done TX <-> ID, at 2100 miles each way? :shock:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

blackeagle603 wrote:JAG,
Your property anywhere around the Priest Lake area? That just came on my radar... friend looking at a business there (has some family there) and contemplating a jump north from San Dog.
Yep. Priest Lake is just over the Selkirk Mountains from where my land is. I actually drove out there on Tuesday afternoon because I had not been there yet. Very beautiful, but very vacation-y. Even less businesses than Sandpoint.

Greg, I drive because I despise flying. I got to see lots of the country that I had not seen since I was much younger. with a nice truck and a book on tape or a podcast, it's easy.
BDK

Post by BDK »

Where are you in ID? A buddy of mine is trying to get together a back country hunt in early Nov in SE ID... And, as I'm an idiot, I agreed to accompany a member of MARSOC, 10 years my junior, on a trip which involves backpacking through rugged terrain.
Greg

Post by Greg »

JAG2955 wrote:
Greg, I drive because I despise flying. I got to see lots of the country that I had not seen since I was much younger. with a nice truck and a book on tape or a podcast, it's easy.
I mention the driving specifically because it takes enormous amounts of time that I simply can't spare, not sure how it is for other people. And the driving itself...if you're alone, sure it's easy. If you're not alone, not so much.

Anyway, you're enjoying benefits of having a very indulgent wife and no kids. Gotcha. ;)
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
toad

Post by toad »

I'll bet there are people who would be glad to loan him some children for a trip and hunt in Idaho. They would even pull them out of school for the educational value of such a trip.
Rum, Rum, are we there yet, I've got to pee, I hate you, stop touching me, are we there yet, I miss Tommy, are we there yet, I gotta go.
Pee yew Billy went no.2, are we there yet.
Then when you get to the hunting camp :twisted:
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Yep. Priest Lake is just over the Selkirk Mountains from where my land is. I actually drove out there on Tuesday afternoon because I had not been there yet. Very beautiful, but very vacation-y. Even less businesses than Sandpoint.
Looking at buying his b-in-law's motel there and continuing his design work as a contractor/telecommuter. Brother is going to keep his restaurant and concentrate on that.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story