What Happened To Our Community?

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Netpackrat

Re: What Happened To Our Community?

Post by Netpackrat »

skb12172 wrote:I also have to say that losing Chris, regardless of its justification, hurt us. His post count was huge and he was often starting new and interesting threads. I also suspect that we may have lost some folks who were loyal to him and just quietly left when he did.
That may be. We got some people back, too, but those seem to have popped in to say hi for a while, and then faded out again. The forum is a habit, and whatever their reason for leaving in the first place, they'd lost the habit. I truly think CC's actions were for the better, given not only what I knew about at the time, but the things that came out afterward. But even with Chris present, this has never been a particularly high volume forum.

I think the main reason for that, is because this forum doesn't really have any real draw, besides being composed of a bunch of people who were fans of this other guy, and on a forum together a few years ago. As great as it is, and as well as we usually get along, the population of that group was capped when KDT decided to shut down his site for good. Sure, we have picked up the occasional new member who stumbled onto us and liked what he saw, but by and large, without something unique to draw new blood, the natural attrition is going to exceed active new members over time.

Bottom line is there are plenty of other gun forums out there, and this one doesn't have much to distinguish it, because we don't cater to any sort of specific interest, and we've never had enough members for the size and activity level to be a draw on their own. One of the reasons why I often post long threads with pictures about my projects (besides a desire to show off), is to create google-bait to bring new people here, and I sometimes post the thread links to other groups.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
George guy

Post by George guy »

Still here, just don't have much going on lately.
'Regulate' used to mean the opposite of 'constipate.'
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Rod wrote:Nature of the beast. People get bored with a site and migrate elsewhere. Some folks end up having actual lives outside the board.
I tend to migrate after a while from most activities, but then I have some of this going:
JAG2955 wrote:I like you guys more than parts of my own family.
add the draw of the civility thing, and I suspect I'm a lifer.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

Captain Wheelgun wrote:
tfbncc wrote:Hmmmm, need to inject some new blood, eh?

Well, we could sneak into arf.com and lay a trap for the unsuspecting. Leaving a trail of .22 rounds like golden, glittering bread crumbs winding it's way through the dark and forboding internet forest. And there, in an open glade, a stack of bricks just beckoning to them, calling to them "Take Me". And as our prey inches ever closer to their ballistic holy grail, we drop a net over them, club them into submission with the butt end of a Mosin-Nagant. Now, firmly caught in our clutches, we turn them over to HTRN and his gentle ministrations. Molding their brains until they become an army of mindless zombies! We send them forth to do our bidding and bring back only the best brains to fill our ranks! Soon, we will take over the internet world and rule with an iron fist as foretold in the prophecies!

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha!

Oh, umm, nevermind.
I don't own a Mosin-Nagant, will a Lee-Enfield do?
+1 as to what Weet said. You guys are knowledgeable, and pretty well-mannered for an "anonymous" internet forum. Add the fact that you all know stuff I don't and can explain it pretty clearly, I'm habituated to coming here to loaf and learn new stuff.

Use one of my K-31's, the original owners seem to have already broken them in for this purpose. :D
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

K-31? (perk)
Jered

Post by Jered »

*lurks menacingly in the background*
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

1) It's summer.
2) I reached saturation with Obamanation outrage about 2 years ago, and the upcoming follies haven't really kicked off in earnest yet.
3) I'm working 60-72-hour weeks, on avg.
4) While I'm undoubtedly in the Top 20 mouthiest contributors here, Mike (currently laid up) was far and away about the most prolific thread generator by country miles, so that has left a lag in topics of late.
5) It's summer.
Last edited by Aesop on Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Jered

Post by Jered »

Did someone say follies? I'm in.

:lol:
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
JohnOC

Post by JohnOC »

What NPR said, for the long-term trends.

We actually did get a bunch of new registrations while public browsing was closed, but how many of those turned into people that stuck around is unclear. We've had a half-dozen or so since, one I signed in to activate just a few minutes ago.

What several others have said for short-term trends. Its summer, and our biggest thread-starters and contributors are busy as one-armed paperhangers or otherwise doing other things than being here.. But most of them will be back.
The government that is big enough to give you everything you want, is powerful enough to take everything you have. – Thomas Jefferson
TheArmsman

Post by TheArmsman »

Guess I am like a lot of others. Visit the site frequently through the day.

While it seems there can be some contentious remarks, it is about an activity, or something that has happened, and not directed at a particular individual.

Plus, one can ask questions here, and get an answer, On just about anything.
When death is inevitable, style counts.

Survival trumps programming.