What Happened To Our Community?

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
First Shirt

Re: What Happened To Our Community?

Post by First Shirt »

Thanks, Greg! We've disagreed on some stuff, but that post has me firmly in your corner!!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

skb12172 wrote:I've seriously thought of becoming a quasi-hermit and moving to a remote town like Copper Lake, Michigan
I call it "Plan A". :ugeek: :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
evan price

Post by evan price »

skb12172 wrote:I've seriously thought of becoming a quasi-hermit and moving to a remote town like Copper Lake, Michigan in the third MHI book, just to better insulate myself from the world's fucktardery.
I just spent two weeks on Drummond Island Michigan which is about as isolated as it gets. Access by ferry or private boat, or else snow machine across in winter.

I'm friends with many permanent residents. You are either an independently wealthy person who needs no outside income...or you work a job in the area for beans, if you can get a job. Timber harvesting and quarrying, truck driving and maintenance, or support jobs for the area (Gas station, light repair and construction, etc) are about it. It's telling the permanent residents have houses that are about 100K in value and trend down to single-wides, but the vacationing out of towners have huge 'cabins' with docks and gated driveways and live there maybe 3-4 weeks a year.

That said...it is private, and peaceful, and if you have a way to support yourself the rest of the world can go to hell and you'd never notice. The most exciting thing that happened is some guy who was a wanted fugitive (murder) contacted his ex-girlfriend that he was coming to the island to hide out.
Overnight, every utility quad, pickup truck, Jeep and logger machine sprouted a shotgun or rifle. I noticed open carry in town. Even the kids got out their Airsofts and BB guns and said they were hoping to see the guy. One of my friend's 8-year-old son proudly showed me his single-shot .410 shotgun and said he was ready to shoot the bad guy in the face to protect his 6-year-old sister.

They caught the guy somewhere nearby.
Things went back to normal.

I had no idea of the Tennessee theatre shooter until I got back to Facebook country. I missed the Repub debate. I was out of touch. It was great.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
martini

Post by martini »

I've been away for a while, but I'm checking back in. A lot of my away for the last few months has been being depressed. Got laid off in Feb and haven't made it past second round interviews yet. Angry and frustrated, so not exactly good company, but I'll chime in as I'm able.
Justice Sotomayor, States may have grown accustomed to violating the rights of American citizens, but that does not bootstrap those violations into something that is constitutional. — Alan Gura
randy

Post by randy »

martini wrote: Angry and frustrated, so not exactly good company
Hell, that describes some of our most active members! :twisted:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

martini wrote:I've been away for a while, but I'm checking back in. A lot of my away for the last few months has been being depressed. Got laid off in Feb and haven't made it past second round interviews yet. Angry and frustrated, so not exactly good company, but I'll chime in as I'm able.
Start a thread and give us the scoop. We maybe able to help in some way. If not, it's decent and cheap therapy.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Rod

Post by Rod »

Netpackrat wrote:
skb12172 wrote:
Netpackrat wrote:And if anybody has got Fivetoes' address I bet he would come back if he knew Chris is gone. But since he was actually banned by Chris, there is no email link in his profile by which to contact him.
Banned for what? Does anyone remember?
Yeah. He made a rude comment to the effect that he wouldn't be hitting Tam's tipjar over on her blog to help cover her cancer expenses, because she'd once made a sarcastic comment that she didn't need health insurance because if anything catastrophic ever happened, she could cast her expenses upon the public (or words to that effect). What he said was wrong, but Chris way overreacted. Certainly worse has been said here, and overlooked or forgiven.
You know I quit reading Tam after a tussel with one of her friends on Facebook. The person acted like an idiot and I called her on it. Tam immediately started in on me with one hellacious, unwarranted attack, then she unfriended me. I figured I didn't need another asshole as a friend so I forgot about it until now. Tam can be over the top.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I was done with her when she backed Marko Kloos on unrestricted immigration and started attacking anyone who thought he was unreasonable in comparing our wanting a controlled border with the Berlin Wall. Fuck her and fuck him.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Jered

Post by Jered »

skb12172 wrote:I was done with her when she backed Marko Kloos on unrestricted immigration and started attacking anyone who thought he was unreasonable in comparing our wanting a controlled border with the Berlin Wall. Fuck her and fuck him.
Unrestricted immigration by people who have no respect for your country is a bad idea.

See also: Visigoths, Vandals, et al.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

I had a thread about it here. IIRC, it was called Marko Kloos Jumps The Shark.