Need some mower suggestions

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
JAG2955

Need some mower suggestions

Post by JAG2955 »

I've got an acre to cut now at the new place. Right now I'm still rocking my Craftsman 21" cut push mower, and it's starting to get irksome when I have to mow. To it's credit, it started on the third pull after being left sitting for a time span measured in years. I still have to do the landscaping in the back, as it's nearly all grass. We're going to do a patio/arbor/gazeboish fire pit thing, as the previous owners had a fire pit in the backyard. Other than the shed and a single lonely crepe myrtle, it's just yard. It's a subdivision, so I still need to cut it, and can't just let it go wild. Plus, I want to keep it short to keep the worst of the bugs away from my dogs.

My original plan was to buy a sub-compact utility tractor with a mower deck underneath. Then I saw the price. Wow. I wanted to get a SCUT because of their utility on a future homestead, which may come in a 2 year time span.

Then I saw something called a garden tractor, which is larger and more powerful than a lawn tractor, and some have a PTO on the back. Of course, they're much more expensive than a lawn tractor, and not much less than a SCUT.

Should I just grab a zero turn mower? Are they good for anything else, or just shortening the grass?

I'd love to hear some options.
Rustyv

Re: Need some mower suggestions

Post by Rustyv »

Watch Craig's list. I'm in your same boat, sold my postage stamp and moved into subdivision where the smallest yard is an acre.

My little Briggs and Stratton 20" wasn't going to cut it, since everything that isn't concrete on this property is green, and the listing agent that was managing the foreclosure didn't believe she had to cut the grass.

Quick swing through Craig's list netted a 46" 24 horse craftsman riding mower for $500. Needed new blades and a new battery, looks ugly as sin (I think the previous owner tried to knock down trees with the engine cover), but it runs great and eats up the vegetation.

Won't be my last mower, but it will keep me from having a heart attack the next few summers until I can find the yard tractor I really want.
Welcome to the internet: Where men are men, women are men, and children are FBI agents.

Dance like it hurts, Love like you need the money, Work like people are watching - Scott Adams
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

Do not buy anything with the name Troy Bilt on it, it will only be an exercise in frustration. My suggestion would be Husqvarna, as their products are better built, and a hell of a lot easier to clean and maintain due to the maintenance friendly design.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

What Rusty said. Watch craigslist. Sometimes you'll see landscapers going out of business and selling off. Lawn maintenance is a cut throat business. Anyone with a pickup and a few thousand bucks can start a company. Which leads to a high failure rate and available zero-turns.

That said, I have an acre and a half.. about half of that is grass. I have no problem blasting it out in half an hour w. a 42" lawn tractor.

I have a 27 hp compact utility tractor for my business. But it would be complete overkill to put a deck on it for my property.

If I were in your situation, I'd buy a used lawn tractor and save my money for a SCUT or CUT when movin' on up.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

JustinR wrote:Do not buy anything with the name Troy Bilt on it
BZZT! Wrong! Don't buy anything named Troybilt made after 2001, when the original company went under. I have a pair of original Troybilt tillers, and they're beasts.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

JAG2955 wrote:Right now I'm still rocking my Craftsman 21" cut push mower, and it's starting to get irksome when I have to mow. To it's credit, it started on the third pull after being left sitting for a time span measured in years.
My old Craftsman 22" 6hp self-propelled started on the first pull this year, as it usually does, and that was with last year's gas in it. :mrgreen:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
Precision

Post by Precision »

There are ZTR's, then there are real ZTR's then there are grasshopper ZTR's. Swiss army knives of mowers. They are not cheap, but they are awesome.

check their website, then look for used from CL or the like.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

I personally think it's crazy to spend $$$ on a new push mower, when better quality ones are left out free for the taking all the time. :ugeek: :mrgreen: All they generally need is a little bit of work, generally carbs, especially now with the shitty ethanol gas we have.

What used to be good, were the older Toros and Hondas. If I was to spend money on a new push mower, I'd probably go Honda.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
BDK

Post by BDK »

Babydoll sheep/and goats...
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

JustinR wrote:Do not buy anything with the name Troy Bilt on it, it will only be an exercise in frustration. My suggestion would be Husqvarna, as their products are better built, and a hell of a lot easier to clean and maintain due to the maintenance friendly design.
Husky's the way to go in lawn care. When I can reasonably justify junking the Troy-Bilt weedeater, I'll get a Husqvarna weedeater to go with my rider and push mowers, and chainsaws.

I tell The Boss that I'm just coordinating accessories.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom