Need some mower suggestions

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
HTRN

Re: Need some mower suggestions

Post by HTRN »

Because of the repro parts situation, a Ford N series tractor with a belly mower might be the way to go - they last damn near forever, and have lots of third party sources...

But then, you're talking a serious outlay of cash, for a rather large mower - typically woods mowers are 72"..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
evan price

Post by evan price »

HTRN wrote:Because of the repro parts situation, a Ford N series tractor with a belly mower might be the way to go - they last damn near forever, and have lots of third party sources...

But then, you're talking a serious outlay of cash, for a rather large mower - typically woods mowers are 72"..
Around here the Ford Jubilees and Ns are very common in the $2-3K range in nice fairly well restored condition or half that if you want to break out the spray paint yourself...might even come with a back blade or something else useful at that price. A Woods M59 or M360 mower will run you another grand for a nice one, or under $500 if you don't care about paint and the belt covers all being there.

This Satoh cost me $1600 and included the back blade and a chisel-tine cultivator. 18-hp 3-cyl Diesel, 3/2 gears and diff lock. I specifically wanted a tractor with AG tires and not turfs. 740 hours on it when I bought it. I had to change filters and oil, fan belt, battery and some pins and stuff, basic maintenance. Put a Cat 1 center link on it because the PO had a Cat 0 on it for some reason.
I picked up a Woods RM48 mower (48" 3-blade) off of a guy in the middle of nowhere for $300 that was intact and in nice shape just needing paint, a new belt, and getting the two halves of the driveshaft unstuck. Then I got a Ford rear trip bucket for $50 at a garage sale from an old timer.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Like I said, a serious outlay of cash - you're talking 5 grand. Probably doesn't make sense if you're only doing an acre..
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

evan price wrote: Around here the Ford Jubilees and Ns are very common in the $2-3K range in nice fairly well restored condition or half that if you want to break out the spray paint yourself...might even come with a back blade or something else useful at that price. A Woods M59 or M360 mower will run you another grand for a nice one, or under $500 if you don't care about paint and the belt covers all being there.

This Satoh cost me $1600 and included the back blade and a chisel-tine cultivator. 18-hp 3-cyl Diesel, 3/2 gears and diff lock. I specifically wanted a tractor with AG tires and not turfs. 740 hours on it when I bought it. I had to change filters and oil, fan belt, battery and some pins and stuff, basic maintenance. Put a Cat 1 center link on it because the PO had a Cat 0 on it for some reason.
I picked up a Woods RM48 mower (48" 3-blade) off of a guy in the middle of nowhere for $300 that was intact and in nice shape just needing paint, a new belt, and getting the two halves of the driveshaft unstuck. Then I got a Ford rear trip bucket for $50 at a garage sale from an old timer.
That pic reminds me I need to get a back blade before winter. "Plowing" with the front end loader is not very efficient.