Hermit

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Darrell

Hermit

Post by Darrell »

Fascinating story about a guy who lived alone in the Maine woods for nearly 30 years. You might remember the story last year:
The hermit set out of camp at midnight, carrying his backpack and his bag of break-in tools, and threaded through the forest, rock to root to rock, every step memorized. Not a boot print left behind. It was cold and nearly moonless, a fine night for a raid, so he hiked about an hour to the Pine Tree summer camp, a few dozen cabins spread along the shoreline of North Pond in central Maine. With an expert twist of a screwdriver, he popped open a door of the dining hall and slipped inside, scanning the pantry shelves with his penlight.

Candy! Always good. Ten rolls of Smarties, stuffed in a pocket. Then, into his backpack, a bag of marshmallows, two tubs of ground coffee, some Humpty Dumpty potato chips. Burgers and bacon were in the locked freezer. On a previous raid at Pine Tree, he’d stolen a key to the walk-in, and now he used it to open the stainless-steel door. The key was attached to a plastic four-leaf-clover key chain, with one of the leaves partially broken off. A three-and-a-half-leaf clover.

He could’ve used a little more luck. Newly installed in the Pine Tree kitchen, hidden behind the ice machine, was a military-grade motion detector. The device remained silent in the kitchen but sounded an alarm in the home of Sergeant Terry Hughes, a game warden who’d become obsessed with catching the thief. Hughes lived a mile away. He raced to the camp in his pickup truck and sprinted to the rear of the dining hall. He peeked in a window.

And there he was. Probably. The person stealing food appeared entirely too clean, his face freshly shaved. He wore eyeglasses and a wool ski hat. Was this really the North Pond Hermit, a man who’d tormented the surrounding community for years—decades—yet the police still hadn’t learned his name?
http://www.gq.com/story/the-last-true-h ... =longreads

He called Thoreau a dilettante. :lol: I'd wonder about the possibility of Asperger's syndrome as well, as mentioned in the article. Found via Reddit.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
PawPaw

Re: Hermit

Post by PawPaw »

Every cop has a burglar they remember. Mine was nicknamed "Deadeye" because he had an eye that roamed around. I could look at a burglary and deduce whether Deadeye had done it, or some other unknown burglar was working. I sent Deadeye to prison three times over a 20 year career in north Louisiana. His work was easy to spot. He always left a screen on the ground beside a window, and he always went in through a window.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
randy

Re: Hermit

Post by randy »

Local detective told be of a case where the burglar broke in during the day and always helped himself to lunch out of the refrigerator before he left.

One lady was really pissed. Not only was she out the broke door lock, food and missing jewelry, money etc., the SOB had poked his finger into a bowl of jello to see if it was ready and therefore ruined it for the pot lock that night.

Left a beautiful impression of his index finger in the jello. :twisted:
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".