I should probably start dressing my age-need some ideas

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
JAG2955

I should probably start dressing my age-need some ideas

Post by JAG2955 »

I'm 31. I've worn shorts or pants and a t-shirt forever. In fact, I may still have some t-shirts from high school that I wear on occasion. I hate collars and hate long sleeves unless it's cold enough to warrant them, and then in that case, I'd rather be wearing a jacket.

What I'd like in a shirt would be this:
-Looks at least somewhat professional, but is durable enough I wouldn't worry about wearing it to mow the lawn
-Stays cool in the summer
-Dries fast, because I sweat like a whore in church, and I live in the south.
-Is machine washable
-Is not in a "rescue me!" color, like a lot of camping and hiking shirts.
-Long enough to cover an IWB pistol
-Semi-fitted so it's not a bag

I already have trouble buying pants because of the size of my legs. Kuhl's Athletik fit are the only ones that don't look like skinny jeans on me. I think that I've cracked that nut, because they can look good, and I finally wore through mine after four years of mostly constant wear. Now if they'd make the pockets deeper, they would be perfect.

I'm just looking to not look like such a slob when I go someplace where a t-shirt isn't quite appropriate. Anyone have suggestions of specific products?
Erik

Re: I should probably start dressing my age-need some ideas

Post by Erik »

I like the fast drying "outdoors" type shirts you can find in camping and hiking stores.
Yes, most of them are very bright color patterns, but with some looking around you can find shirts that look decent on an average day. I have several brands, both shirt and long sleves.
Fjallraven Abisko is an example of the type of shirt, they have both long and short sleeved versions.
Fjallraven Abisko Cool shirt
Fjallraven Abisko Vent shirt

When I need to dress up more, I wear a quick drying tank shirt (something like this) under a longsleeved dress shirt. It helps keep perspiration down, and is a lot more comfortable than without or with a t-shirt.
"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."
John Wayne
tfbncc

Post by tfbncc »

If I remembers correctly (rarely these days) you live in the Jacksonville, FL area? The standard all weather, almost all occasion wardrobe of dockers slacks and a good polo shirt works well around here. And the slacks weigh half as much as a pair of jeans. They are a lot cooler. Polo shirts are acceptable at almost any occasion short of formal. Worn outside the slacks, they will cover most IWB holsters easily. Look online for wholesale outlets for the best price.

T-Shirt Wholesaler
Shirtsupplier.com

by the way, if you are in the Jacksonville area, I live in Orange Park. We might be neighbors.
Kommander

Post by Kommander »

There are allot of environmental factors that making dressing nice rather difficult in certain areas of the south west. I cant believe that some people actually manage to wear a suit during the summer in places like Phoenix while I go nuts if I have to tuck in my shirt.
evan price

Post by evan price »

I like polo shirts and Dockers for anything that a tee shirt and jeans won't fly at.
If you have a Goodwill or other such thrift shop they often have racks of new or almost new polo shirts for cheap in any color you want. I'm partial to finding oddball company logo shirts, they are quite often very high quality shirts and the logos can be picked out or ignored as you like.
Bowling shirts are also great and fit loose where you need them.
I also look for clean nice uniform shirts (the kind with the patches and name tags) just for yuks. Walking around in a "Burk Tire Retreading" shirt with "Rafael" on the name tag was fun.
Cabelas or other sports/outfitters shops have some lightweight breathable shirts I like. Our local Cabelas bargain cave usually has something not obnoxious for cheap.

I personally buy my shirts XL(tall) when such a size is available, tall sizes give you an extra button length in button up shirts, and about the same on polos. The extra length helps conceal an iwb or owb nicely.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
JustinR

Post by JustinR »

I wear regular plain Fruit of the Loom t-shirts from Walmart tucked in, but then have, for lack of a better descriptive term, Hawaiian-type over-shirts I wear and don't tuck in. The bottom hem is flat so it doesn't look like you just forgot to tuck it in, you can wear it buttoned or un-buttoned, and it covers up your CCW piece nicely. My over-shirts are mostly uniform dark colors, and are available at most major department stores. Looks good, comfortable, and versatile.
"The armory was even better. Above the door was a sign: You dream, we build." -Mark Owen, No Easy Day

"My assault weapon won't be 'illegal,' it will be 'undocumented.'" -KL
Precision

Post by Precision »

JustinR wrote:I wear regular plain Fruit of the Loom t-shirts from Walmart tucked in, but then have, for lack of a better descriptive term, Hawaiian-type over-shirts I wear and don't tuck in. The bottom hem is flat so it doesn't look like you just forgot to tuck it in, you can wear it buttoned or un-buttoned, and it covers up your CCW piece nicely. My over-shirts are mostly uniform dark colors, and are available at most major department stores. Looks good, comfortable, and versatile.
This minus the Hawaiian print.

I do this with the Cuban linen shirts and other button down square bottom shirts almost all year long. White t-shirt under pads against my paddle holster and absorbs sweat and wicks it keeping the cover shirt dry. I wear cowboy boots, tactical boots or light hiking boots most of the year so I am a step up from sneakers paired with good jeans or khaki's.

As to having the shirts not get damaged while mowing the lawn. That is false economy. Go to Goodwill, buy a dozen ($3.69) shirts for $40. As one gets a little worn, that is your new lawn mowing shirt and invest another ($3.69) in a newer one. Or just buy a t-shirt that is one size too large for a carry shirt while mowing the lawn.

For $100 at Goodwill, you can completely reinvent your wardrobe. Go to the best town near you and score almost new clothes, discarded by people who finally decided they are no longer a their former size and never will be.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
g-man

Post by g-man »

+1 on the goodwill thing. I have significantly upgraded my non-uniform wardrobe over the last couple of years by keeping an eye out at the local thrift stores. Columbia short-sleeve button down shirts are pretty durable, and usually come in the 'flat-cut' style mentioned, in non-retina-damaging colors (assuming you avoid their PFG fishing stuff).
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Columbia Silver Ridge short sleeve shirt. I don't know how to link from a tablet. I generally wear Hawaiian shirts, but I put this on when I need to look a little better, but I don't want to tuck in.

It stays cool, dries quickly, doesn't wrinkle too badly, looks good. The pockets could be better, but if you don't carry pen, notebook, and phone there, it's probably not a problem.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

And I get all the Hawaiian shirts at the thrift shops for $3-$8.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D