I should probably start dressing my age-need some ideas

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
toad

Re: I should probably start dressing my age-need some ideas

Post by toad »

If you live in a hot climate the Carvat and something like a polo shirt might be the way to go. IIRC the silk Carvat or Scarf was popular with early fighter pilots because they were constantly turning their heads to see what was going on.
One one of the videos of how to tie a carvat the British Gentleman was wearing a plain white shirt. I didn't get the make of it though.
So I'm now looking at a Carvat, smoking jacket, unloaded pipe, deer stalker, land dangling pee bag for cool weather, or shorts, sneakers, boater hat, white polo shirt, and dangling pee bag for warm weather.
Of course I really look forward to not having to use a pee bag. But I would like to dress up for the service intervals on a car.
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

toad wrote:If you live in a hot climate the Carvat and something like a polo shirt might be the way to go. IIRC the silk Carvat or Scarf was popular with early fighter pilots because they were constantly turning their heads to see what was going on.
One one of the videos of how to tie a carvat the British Gentleman was wearing a plain white shirt. I didn't get the make of it though.
So I'm now looking at a Carvat, smoking jacket, unloaded pipe, deer stalker, land dangling pee bag for cool weather, or shorts, sneakers, boater hat, white polo shirt, and dangling pee bag for warm weather.
Of course I really look forward to not having to use a pee bag. But I would like to dress up for the service intervals on a car.
I take it they have you on good drugs, toad?
toad

Post by toad »

Right now I'm trying to wean myself off the Tylenol #3. But if I get the Smart Car I want to play with the dealers service department's minds when I take the tinker toy in for service.
Comment from relative: "If you get one you wont be able to back in park.", "Why?", "It has no back end." :roll:
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

g-man wrote:
Weetabix wrote:And I get all the Hawaiian shirts at the thrift shops for $3-$8.
A tip on the Hawaiian shirt thing (having just PCS'ed from there): Tommy Bahama silk shirts are generally woven such that they lay more 'normally' and don't look like bad 80's 'silk shirts' that stick when you sweat. And if you look for ones with subtle or subdued patterns, they work fine every day instead of just on Hawaiian shirt fridays.
I only buy cotton or silk. No plastic.

Subtle? Subdued? Every day is Friday!

Side anecdote: I'm an assistant coach for my daughter's homeschool track team. The meets tend to be large and long. She said, "Now that dad has to wear a team shirt and not a Hawaiian shirt, I'll never find him on the field!" :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

Homer Simpson wrote: There's only two kinds of guys who wear Hawaiian shirts: gay guys and big fat party animals. And Bart doesn't look like a big fat party animal to me!
Not directed at anyone, but I'm not about to wear a Hawaiian shirt unless I'm starring in a remake of Magnum, P.I.
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

toad wrote:Right now I'm trying to wean myself off the Tylenol #3. But if I get the Smart Car I want to play with the dealers service department's minds when I take the tinker toy in for service.
Comment from relative: "If you get one you wont be able to back in park.", "Why?", "It has no back end." :roll:
Actually, you can't park them at all, you have to find a spot with a hitching rail.
If you don't tie them down, it's noted that the things can simply blow away left unattended.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Hawaiian shirts:

1. Hide a gun with a reason not to tuck the shirt in.
2. "Disguise" the spare tire that I hate but don't have energy to lose.
3. Take away all decisions about matching outfits in the early morning.
4. Cost next to nothing.
5. Irritate City guys in meetings where they're required to wear shirts and ties.

I'm not a party animal. I could start copping a feel on nearby females to counter the gay thing. :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

Weetabix wrote:Hawaiian shirts:

1. Hide a gun with a reason not to tuck the shirt in.
2. "Disguise" the spare tire that I hate but don't have energy to lose.
3. Take away all decisions about matching outfits in the early morning.
4. Cost next to nothing.
5. Irritate City guys in meetings where they're required to wear shirts and ties.

I'm not a party animal. I could start copping a feel on nearby females to counter the gay thing. :D
AWESOME ANSWER!!!! LOL!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-) 8-) :D :D :D
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

I took the Goodwill advice and stopped by there today.

For $24 I got:

-Two dress shirts that almost fit (I wear an 18x37). One is a 17.5, and the 18 has 36" sleeves. I think that I'll try to get them fitted, depending on how much that costs, because they're a bag around the waist.

-One nice Adidas polo, their ClimaCool variant, a little snug, but it still looks good.

-Three short sleeve button ups.

There was some really nice stuff there. If I were smaller, there was an UnderArmour polo, and an ExOfficio button up longsleeve. I can see how people flip that stuff on eBay.

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll likely try another Goodwill in a neighboring city when I have time.
Termite

Post by Termite »

Speaking of polo shirts: These are what I buy.

I love the pen pocket on the left sleeve, and the front sunglasses/readers holder is handy too. For $14.99, you just can't go wrong.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."