Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
SoupOrMan

Re: Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Post by SoupOrMan »

Okay, one of the questions I have about Irish cuisine, mostly due to my grandmother's cooking...

is all of it based on "Boil until flavorless and depressing"?
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

I'm of Irish hillbilly stock--I made corned beef and cabbage, but I have cornbread to go with. ;)
Eppur si muove--Galileo
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I'd just as soon have cornbread as soda bread, it's just whatever The Boss feels like cooking. As long as we have the corned beef and cabbage (and potatoes, but I'm not big on them).
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
Aaron

Post by Aaron »

Wouldn't a feast of bacon whilst wearing snakeskin accoutrements be more appropriate?
If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom,...Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you...; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.

-Samuel Adams

Irate Islander
Rich

Post by Rich »

Her; Here it is, St. Patrick's Day and not a hint of green on you.

Him; Check out my smile honey.

Then the fight began.
A weak government usually remains a servant of citizens, while a strong government usually becomes the master of its subjects.
- paraphrased from several sources

A choice, not an echo. - Goldwater campaign, 1964
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Oddly, my local Bartender is Irish, as in "from Ireland"

And Corned Beef may have been a great idea in the days before refrigeration, but these days, it's a waste of good Brisket.

It's also about as Irish as Pasta is. :ugeek:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Denis

Post by Denis »

SoupOrMan wrote:Okay, one of the questions I have about Irish cuisine, mostly due to my grandmother's cooking...

is all of it based on "Boil until flavorless and depressing"?
Yes. That describes perfectly the Irish cuisine of a generation or two ago.
HTRN wrote:Corned Beef ... It's also about as Irish as Pasta is. :ugeek:
Quite right. Pasta was invented by the Chinese, and later brought to the western world by the famous Irish explorer Mark O'Polo. :mrgreen:

I like corned beef. Slice it thin and it's pastrami.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

No, it's not.

Pastrami is salted, then smoked.
Corned beef is salted and then boiled.

Boiling is bad where most meats and veg are concerned. You're effectively flavoring water, then throwing it out.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Termite

Post by Termite »

HTRN wrote: Pastrami is salted, then smoked.
Corned beef is salted and then boiled.
Most pastrami starts out as corned beef, then goes on to more flavor via smoking, then baking or steaming.

I and a friend are about to finish up turning a 22lb chuck roll into pastrami. It comes out of the brine tomorrow, and goes on the smoker. Chuck roll is a better cut than brisket. Have to trim a bit of fat, but I like it better.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Yes, but when you get it home and cook it is where it deviates. Hence my previous post.

Since you're attempting pastrami, have you considered also trying say, Prosciutto? :mrgreen: