Elementary School Bans Homework

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
skb12172

Elementary School Bans Homework

Post by skb12172 »

Not the worst idea I've heard.
Link
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Steamforger

Re: Elementary School Bans Homework

Post by Steamforger »

Angry parents said they have begun filling in the gap by creating their own homework assignments for their kids.
Brilliant strat here, IMHO, forcing parents to take an active role in the education of their children. Too many simply view school as a state mandated day care center.
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

So the pendulum has swung the other way? People never can seem to find a happy medium, can they?

On a whole, I never thought I had too much homework throughout school (graduated in 96.) Not long after I graduated, it seemed that every was complaining that they were giving the kids too much homework. 6+ hours a night, 80 lbs. of books to haul back and forth, back injuries from the weight, etc. Now they are going with no homework... it is like people have no ability to look at a situation and come to a logical conclusion. They just knee-jerk this way and that. Kind of like the way my mother used to drive, full-throttle or full brake.

Should I get my tin-foil hat out and say that all of this digital stuff is infecting peoples brains and making them digital? :lol:
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

We offer tutoring two nights per week under a federal program called "Parental Involvement". Your federal dollars at work. It's basically a tutoring program that teaches parents how to help with their child's education. The students can come and be tutored under certified teachers, but the parents have to remain with the child, and the parents get supplemental instruction to help their children.

Of course, the teachers are paid for their time with federal (translate: Your) money. This program is available in every school disrict in the US and available under Title 1 of the Grants to Local Agencies law.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

My HS was designed around the idea that it was best to get kids to work independently. So the classes were only 30 minutes long but we had about 1 to two hours of "homework" (boarding school so not actually taking it home) per class. Only 4 classes at a time with art music and PE not being considered classes although we had them.

It was excellent preparation for college but I think it only works in a model where you can just kick out kids who underperform.