Sovereign Citizen has his day in court...wait for it

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
SoupOrMan

Re: Sovereign Citizen has his day in court...wait for it

Post by SoupOrMan »

Oh, Art Bell's most vocal section of his fanbase.

Seriously, though, if sov. citizens only recognize the sheriff, I hope they realize just how close they are to being serfs only recognizing their local lord.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Rod

Post by Rod »

SoupOrMan wrote:Oh, Art Bell's most vocal section of his fanbase.

Seriously, though, if sov. citizens only recognize the sheriff, I hope they realize just how close they are to being serfs only recognizing their local lord.
I saw what you did there. Sheriff of Nottingham?
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

No puns intended. They're about as close to demanding a local baron as you can get.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
Vonz90

Post by Vonz90 »

I could use some serfs.
Termite

Post by Termite »

SoupOrMan wrote:No puns intended. They're about as close to demanding a local baron as you can get.
I've talked with a fair number.

At first, you find yourself agreeing with a lot of their ideas.....right up until they verbally "dive off the cliff face", and you have the "W...T...F..." moment... :shock:
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

SoupOrMan wrote:No puns intended. They're about as close to demanding a local baron as you can get.
There's a lot of truth to that. Inevitably, they err in one of two ways. They either start thinking that the job is theirs because they're indispensable, or they try too hard to please everyone, and end up pissing-off the majority of the people who vote. Either way, elected Sheriffs are often reminded that they work for the voters. Which is why most jurisdictions get a new Sheriff every four to eight years.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

I've heard, from a number of sources, that the only person who can arrest the county sheriff is the county coroner. Not sure how solid that is, but it does illustrate just how odd local/state laws can be.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
PawPaw

Post by PawPaw »

First Shirt wrote:I've heard, from a number of sources, that the only person who can arrest the county sheriff is the county coroner. Not sure how solid that is, but it does illustrate just how odd local/state laws can be.
I don't know about that, and I'm sure that state law would apply, but I've seen two sheriffs arrested, both by US Marshalls following indictment in federal court.
Dennis Dezendorf
PawPaw's House
randy

Post by randy »

PawPaw wrote:
First Shirt wrote:I've heard, from a number of sources, that the only person who can arrest the county sheriff is the county coroner. Not sure how solid that is, but it does illustrate just how odd local/state laws can be.
I don't know about that, and I'm sure that state law would apply, but I've seen two sheriffs arrested, both by US Marshalls following indictment in federal court.
I've had or been privy to conversations on this subject that involved Sheriffs and Coroners, and the consensus is that in this state, given the ambiguities in the state code and practical issues, no matter what is taught in various law courses, the Coroners are not about to try it and would leave it to State Patrol or US Marshals if it came down to cases.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".