How to reduce Alaska freight costs?

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
toad

How to reduce Alaska freight costs?

Post by toad »

One complaint I've heard often about Alaska is how expensive it is to ship to and from the State. So is the solution political or technical?
Transportation of people would be secondary but Alaska cries out for illegal immigrants to attempt to rape the bears. "Jose in the tree, by the dawns early light..."
JAG2955

Re: How to reduce Alaska freight costs?

Post by JAG2955 »

Annex Canada?
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Eliminating the Jones Act would help a lot.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
randy

Post by randy »

JAG2955 wrote:Annex Canada?
Could we limit it to just the western provinces please? I really don't think anyone wants to include Quebec.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
randy

Post by randy »

Netpackrat wrote:Eliminating the Jones Act would help a lot.
To save others from expending their Google-Fu, and assuming Wikipedia is correct (really, stop laughing, just for the sake of argument):

The Merchant Marine Act of 1920 (P.L. 66-261), also known as the Jones Act
...requires that all goods transported by water between U.S. ports be carried on U.S.-flag ships, constructed in the United States, owned by U.S. citizens, and crewed by U.S. citizens and U.S. permanent residents.
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Old Grafton

Post by Old Grafton »

Too bad we can't talk UPS into converting a retired aircraft carrier into a really BIG Brown Truck.... 8-)
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Old Grafton wrote:Too bad we can't talk UPS into converting a retired aircraft carrier into a really BIG Brown Truck.... 8-)
I think there's lot of people that would be willing to haul the freight, but all those Jones Act requirements do is drive up costs. Up and up and up.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Termite

Post by Termite »

randy wrote: I really don't think anyone wants to include Quebec.
Ship them down to south Louisiana. There is historical precedent. They would adapt or die, and they already speak French.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Would it be cheaper to ship via an intermediate foreign port? Outbound to Asia from the west coast is ridiculously cheap with all those empty boxes. Then back from Asia to Anchorage? On foreign flagged vessels for both legs.

Slower of course but would that get around the Jones act?
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Leave us the hell alone would work wonders , getting all the Feds out of our business and reducing State.gov to about 10 percent of what they are now , allow mining , drilling, pipelines etc would give us ehe economic lever to improve our own situation.
The folks in Yukon and northern BC want to get rid of Ottawa bad so they might want to join us if we werent such busy body , tax happy socilists.
The Jones act typifies the busy body bs .
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.