Cold Snap

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Old Grafton

Cold Snap

Post by Old Grafton »

It's a bit cold today for this area. Minus 4F now; was 0F @ 6AM. Schools closed. Saw that schools were delayed 2 hours in northwest Georgia today due to 27F temps. It's all relative to what you're used to experiencing, of course, but when your nose hairs freeze you get the idea. I read about folks in the Dakotas, Canada, Alaska who are used to much worse and my hat is off (well, not right this moment, y'know!) to them all.
I'm not old--It's too early to be this late.
Greg

Re: Cold Snap

Post by Greg »

We've got some of that here, too. Was 8 degrees when I first got up, might be all the way up to 10 or 11 now.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

When I left work this morning, it was THREE F'IN' DEGREES!! May have set new record lows, and we're looking at 60+ hours of below-freezing temps. THIS IS NOT WHAT I SIGNED ON FOR!!!!

I want my global warming, dammit!
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Greg wrote:We've got some of that here, too. Was 8 degrees when I first got up, might be all the way up to 10 or 11 now.
Yup, read 7 at my place this morning. Ice crystals in mustache this morning, I'm going with leftover water from brushing my teeth.

Can't complain too bad, hasn't REALLY been a harsh winter, and mostly snow-free (IIRC three snowfalls, none over an inch, and one last weekend that melted when the temp went up to the 50s the next day.
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Oh boo friggin' hoo.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Durham68

Post by Durham68 »

First Shirt wrote:When I left work this morning, it was THREE F'IN' DEGREES!! May have set new record lows, and we're looking at 60+ hours of below-freezing temps. THIS IS NOT WHAT I SIGNED ON FOR!!!!

I want my global warming, dammit!
In AL?!?

:lol:
"Unattended children will be given an espresso and a puppy"
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Yes, in Ala-freakin'-bama!!! If I'd wanted this crap, I'd have stayed in Iowa!

And, if G-d had wanted me to live someplace this cold, He'd have given me the ability to hibernate, and thus sleep through it.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
g-man

Post by g-man »

Record cold for the day has generally been ~4°-6° cooler, and record cold for the month has been on the order of ~10°-20° colder than today's temps, for the places I've checked (Chicago, Atlanta, Montpelier VT, DC, etc).

Growing up in VT, we called this 'Winter'.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

Growing up in Alabama, we called it Yankee winter, and they were welcome to it. (If it was really bad, we called it Damyankee winter.)
Lindy Cooper Wisdom
rightisright

Post by rightisright »

I've been sitting on my ass all week. Next step in my current project is concrete footings. Can't pour 'crete in this weather...