'Breast milk banks' gain in popularity....

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
slowpoke

Re: 'Breast milk banks' gain in popularity....

Post by slowpoke »

Aglifter wrote:Aesop, if they screen the donors why would you care? Now, I don't think pasteurizing it is a good idea - babies are meant to digest intact breast milk protein, not denatured ones.

But, why not get a, tested, au pair, etc, and give her a shot to induce lactation?
You dont actually need a shot. Most women will start to lactate from stimulation, so hook her to a pump five times a day for 20-30min a time and shell start to lactate with no shot.
If it wasnt so uncomfortable and time consuming I expect it would have turned into a weight loss fad.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

Aglifter wrote:Aesop, if they screen the donors why would you care? Now, I don't think pasteurizing it is a good idea - babies are meant to digest intact breast milk protein, not denatured ones.

But, why not get a, tested, au pair, etc, and give her a shot to induce lactation?
Working in the field, my trust in the systemic safeguards is far less than absolute.
This is a needless risk of exposure for utterly superfluous purposes.
Just a for instance, but you can have active HIV for six weeks or longer without testing positive for it.
They're playing Russian roulette with babies.
What could possibly go wrong with that where nursing infants are concerned?
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Denis

Post by Denis »

Aglifter wrote:But, why not get a, tested, au pair, etc, and give her a shot to induce lactation?
I understand that the chances of daddies giving the au pair "a shot" is one of the reasons why mommies tend not to want to have an au pair :shock:
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

Yeah.... no. What could possibly go wrong? :?

And to hell with the #$%&^#%$^& breastfeeding mafia. If they had their way, my kid would likely have starved to death.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

Denis wrote:
Aglifter wrote:But, why not get a, tested, au pair, etc, and give her a shot to induce lactation?
I understand that the chances of daddies giving the au pair "a shot" is one of the reasons why mommies tend not to want to have an au pair :shock:
Heh. An au pair *is* like a walking 'impregnate me' sign- young, healthy, nurturing and likes children.... somebody has to do it. Though I've heard women joke that what children need is a manny. Preferably a young, energetic one. :lol:

Anyway, there were probably some good reasons wet nurses went out of style.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jericho941

Post by Jericho941 »

My understanding is that an au pair is "nanny" translated into nouveau riche.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jericho941 wrote:My understanding is that an au pair is "nanny" translated into nouveau riche.
I've known nouveau riche types to use 'nanny'. In practical terms nowadays which vocabulary you use seems to be dependent on how pretentious you are.

Technically 'au pair' means something specific, it's almost like an H1B visa child care worker, with overtones of 'child care facilitation engineer' status inflation. But I'm not sure how many people actually know that, they just seem to like that 'au pair' sounds more modern and European.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Windy Wilson

Post by Windy Wilson »

I thought clothes on dogs was Buck Henry and Alan Abel. :roll:
The use of the word "but" usually indicates that everything preceding it in a sentence is a lie.
E.g.:
"I believe in Freedom of Speech, but". . .
"I support the Second Amendment, but". . .
--Randy
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

SoupOrMan wrote:"Seen one set of tits, you've seen 'em all."
That's an interesting Hypothesis. How to test it I wonder? :mrgreen:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Au pair is, supposed to be, a foreign woman, usually young, who watches the kids and teaches them a foreign language.

I had nannies growing up, who were, usually, lovely - but I don't know that women that age can lactate.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto