Conversation at the chow hall...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Termite

Re: Conversation at the chow hall...

Post by Termite »

Jericho941 wrote:"Care to explain the slave shenanigans, Mister 'All Men are Created Equal'?"
OGNTSA......... :roll:

Without a proper education into the context of slavery during that time period, one cannot argue from a realistic point of view.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Precision

Post by Precision »

While you are at it with the time machine, hop back to 1914 and buy a brand new tractor. Then make design specs based on 1801 level of tech to allow them to reproduce an approximation of said tractor. Allow that tech to percolate for 20-30 years and you have no civil war as the slave have been freed because tractors are cheaper and better.

time expense of growing 100 bales of cotton:
1800 - 373 man hours
1914 - 67 man hours
1984 - 7 man hours

move the 1914 number to 1830 and slavery goes away pretty quickly
you can substitute cotton with any type of field or row crop with much the same results.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~Thomas Jefferson
My little part of the blogosphere. http://blogletitburn.wordpress.com/
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Precision wrote:Allow that tech to percolate for 20-30 years and you have no civil war as the slave have been freed because tractors are cheaper and better.
Slavery went on in this country, largely surreptitiously, right up till world war 2, via the prison system.

You want to kill slavery? the Sharecropper method is actually cheaper than buying slaves for agriculture(and if "done right" will leave said sharecropper in so much debt, he's basically tied to the land for life - hello serfdom!), because it shifts alot of the costs off the landowner onto the sharecropper(no buying slaves, paying for their food, lodging, etc) only paying when they're actually performing work.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
JAG2955

Post by JAG2955 »

How bout you bring Leonardo DaVinci into the future? I imagine that he'd adapt quite quickly to the future.

What about Mozart, or Beethoven? Make amazing music and beat up Justin Beiber?
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Forget that - bring back Tesla.

We were promised Jetpacks! :lol:
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Aesop

Post by Aesop »

I'd prefer to think small: bring back FDR, so that rather than kicking the ever-loving $#!^ out of him, we can jam him into a VA retirement hospital to experience Medicare and Social Security first-hand.

On weekends, we take him to garden spots of urban ute, and let them play "Knockout Game" with him.

After about a month, when he starts crying blood, we send him back to 1931.
"There are four types of homicide: felonious, accidental, justifiable, and praiseworthy." -Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"
Termite

Post by Termite »

HTRN wrote:Forget that - bring back Tesla.
^THIS!!^

I'm thinking he could double-down on von Braun's technology, and invent an FTL drive........
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."