Wildlife management

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
TabascoKid

Wildlife management

Post by TabascoKid »

My mom owns ranch land in South Texas. Up until recently, she's had the state agricultural exemption for property tax because she had cattle on it. The cows are gone now (long story) and she's in danger of losing the exemption. A clause in the law allows for the exemption to be claimed if the land is used as part of a wildlife management plan.

I think I can make it work by installing small and big game guzzlers, supplimental feeding points and increasing fence line brush cover. The target wildlife is white tail deer and maybe white wing dove.

Anyone have any experience in developing land for these critters?
blackeagle603

Re: Wildlife management

Post by blackeagle603 »

now this is where PawPaw is going to be missed...
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Rumpshot

Post by Rumpshot »

Get in touch with your fish & game or DNR folks. They probably have guidelines and can help.
NRA Life Member
VFW Life Member
NMLRA Field Rep
North Central Arizona
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Rumpshot wrote:Get in touch with your fish & game or DNR folks. They probably have guidelines and can help.
+1 They're there for exactly this purpose, and they want to help you.

Now, if you wind up needing someone to help keep the wildlife in check... let me know. :D
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Rod

Post by Rod »

Big problem you're going to possibly have is feral hogs. When we were by Houston for CC's Shooting Fiesta, we're pretty sure we killed one in the brush behind the backstop. Of course YOU have your own PET on call.
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

I'd think the feral hog problem would be approximately the same, although setting up for better habitat would increase it a bit.

Do feral hogs taste good?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
TabascoKid

Post by TabascoKid »

Already got a letter in to TxPWD for advice but wanted to see if anyone has actually carried out any of these items and had advice on executing them.

Been working on getting mom to allow hunting out there but she is terrified of liability issues and confrontation with poachers in the area.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Where in S TX? We hunt there quite a bit, our friends have places there, another one used to manage a commercial hunting operation there , etc.

If you'd rather email me feel free

Acreage, and the presence and type of surface water also matter.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
SoupOrMan

Post by SoupOrMan »

Weetabix wrote:I'd think the feral hog problem would be approximately the same, although setting up for better habitat would increase it a bit.

Do feral hogs taste good?
Sadly, they don't taste very good unless you're an excellent cook.
Remember, folks, you can't spell "douche" without "Che."

“PET PARENTS?” You’re not a “pet parent.” You’re a pet owner. Unless you’ve committed an unnatural act that succeeded in spite of biology. - Glenn Reynolds
First Shirt

Post by First Shirt »

The problem with feral hogs is that a really bragging-size trophy (in the 250-500 lbs range) is an older boar who is tougher than boot leather, and smells like the ass-end of destruction.

Under 200-250 lbs, they are fine eating, IF properly handled in the field, and by the processor. The guy that does mine has been a professional butcher for 20 years, and we get chops, roasts, ribs, and a metric buttload of sausage, all of which my finicky grandkids will eat. My guy is planning on building a smokehouse this spring, so he can do hams and bacon.

Bottom line is, if it's a trophy, you probably don't want to eat it.
But there ain't many troubles that a man caint fix, with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six."
Lindy Cooper Wisdom