Economics

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Cobar

Economics

Post by Cobar »

After reading through the threads about precious metals and other economic stuff, I realized just how uneducated I am when it comes to modern economics and the stock market.

So, does anyone have any recommendations on books, or other sources, to educate myself on such subjects?
blackeagle603

Re: Economics

Post by blackeagle603 »

Both worth reading and somewhat balancing against one another in tone/balance/perspective

It's Not as Bad as You Think: Why Capitalism Trumps Fear and the Economy Will Thrive [Hardcover]

This one gives a good historical review of money/currency, gold/fiat, origin of the Fed and sets up a discussion of current goings on. _Without_ going tinfoil hat on you.
hCurrency Wars: The Making of the Next Global Crisis
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

More for the reading list, thanks.
but it all comes down to people responding to incentives or perceived incentives.
That is sort of how I have always seen economics anyways. Money is only useful because people perceive it to have value, and it is easier to use than bartering. Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, etc.

EDIT: Amazon Prime is insidiously evil and makes me buy things :shock: :lol:
Cobar

Post by Cobar »

...and not a damned extra minute to read it all :lol:

I feel blessed to be employed full time and I am going to school full time, but man it doesn't leave much time for anything else.
CByrneIV wrote:
Cobar wrote: EDIT: Amazon Prime is insidiously evil and makes me buy things :shock: :lol:
Oh that's for fucking sure.

And Kindle is worse "oh look, it's only $2.99... oh and that ones only 3.99, and I get it right now... oh look that on'es $0.99....

$200 later...
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

CByrneIV wrote:
Cobar wrote: EDIT: Amazon Prime is insidiously evil and makes me buy things :shock: :lol:
Oh that's for fucking sure.

And Kindle is worse "oh look, it's only $2.99... oh and that ones only 3.99, and I get it right now... oh look that on'es $0.99....

$200 later...
I knew there was a reason I hadn't gotten into the whole ebook thing. But on the subject of Amazon, they have figured out one of the two ways in which you can best sell something to Alaskans. The first is to make it out of stainless steel, and the second is to ship it for free.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

No shit , I get water filters, vitamins,books,shocks for the truck etc shipped free sweet.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

Cobar wrote: So, does anyone have any recommendations on books, or other sources, to educate myself on such subjects?
First this forum has lots of savy investors ,econ and business are a hot secondary topic. Chris pointed out some great reads, also econ in one is available here I would also recommend zerohedge look up terms you don't know keep at it it takes a while to make sence of it.
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Termite

Post by Termite »

CByrneIV wrote:The complete works of Thomas Sowell, beginning with "Basic Economics".
Thomas Sowell is a frigging' genius. So is his buddy, Walter Williams.

If I were appointed Tyrant of America, my second act would be to shanghai Thomas Sowell to be Secretary of Education.......with the express goal of disassembling the US Dept of Education.
"Life is a bitch. Shit happens. Adapt, improvise, and overcome. Acknowledge it, and move on."
Jered

Post by Jered »

Econ talk has a lot of good podcasts if that's your thing.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Don't overlook John Lott's "Freedomnomics." Also, his blog gets something from him daily -- much of it economics. Almost of it some statistical look at events/news. Good daily application/brain exercise.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story