Wood Butchering

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Netpackrat

Re: Wood Butchering

Post by Netpackrat »

If I never had to look at another pallet in my life, it would be just fine with me. I particularly dislike the style that Chris is working with there. They tend to be a bit heavier than normal pallets, though they are good and sturdy.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Highspeed

Post by Highspeed »

Compared to my woodworking efforts that isn't butchering, it's post-graduate level advanced quantum carpentry.

Give me a piece of wood and I'll usually damage it, the tool I'm attempting to use on it and myself. I once suffered a black eye while trying to inlet a stock :D

Great piece of practical design though, we can get free pallets and only have room for 50% of our winter wood under the porch -I might have a go at something similar ( I'll wait till I'm off the anti-coagulants though, because I will probably cut off at least one of my fingers in the process )
All my life I been in the dog house
I guess that just where I belong
That just the way the dice roll
Do my dog house song
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Highspeed wrote:( I'll wait till I'm off the anti-coagulants though, because I will probably cut off at least one of my fingers in the process )
I just had a vision of the Black Knight Highspeed with a flesh wound.
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

Why not a holzhaus?

I wouldn't store too much wood directly near the house, HS - different in N ID, where, presumably, it just stays too cold for bugs all winter long.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

If I lived in a cold climate, and I might do it anyway, I would look at one of those wood gas boilers.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

The mercury has finally started to dip here. 50's last night. Night time temps will be in the low/mid 30's in a few weeks.
It's about time to get organized for our ~4 month woodstove heating season.

I have a small wood rack right at the door nearest the stove that holds a cord end face (4'x4'x16"). I like the bench top idea for a kindling box.
That goes on the honey-do short list right now.

I need to organize my outside kindling better than just the 5 gal bucket I use -- that always seems to migrate out into the walkway.
That rack top looks like just the ticket. I like to cut a huge pile of kindling at one time and forget it for a week or two. Then I feed from that pile into a smaller
indoor kindling stash. I found an old
copper boiler to use for inside kindling that suits the decor and wife's sensibilities nicely.

I had my firewood stacked on pallets for years but finally got my woodpile shed roof done in time for last year's wet season.
It's drained/sheltered well enough now that I just stack right on the gravel base.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
308Mike

Post by 308Mike »

At least it looks like you got almost ALL of it done before the really HEAVY snow hits. If I lived nearby, I'd be over there helping you, so we could get it done as well as other projects before the weather gets too bad so we could get most of them FINISHED before then. As it is, it looks like I'm going to be pulling "SLAVE LABOR" for a friend in AZ for a week or so. :lol: :lol: :D :D ;) ;) ;) ;)

This is so we can get some of his projects done before it gets cold (and I understand COLD is relative, but for a SoCal NATIVE, cold is relative to SoCal temps), the ground too hard, and the days too short. It's amazing just how much work you can get done when someone likes to work, and hasn't been working in a while!! Of course, depending on the temps, a good supply of coffee might also be needed (ESPECIALLY with my newly-shaved-head 'cause my mom's going through chemo from Breast Cancer, and has lost all her hair, so I told her she wasn't going to be the ONLY one of the family in public with a bald head). :lol: :lol: :lol: After all, hair grows back, breasts do NOT, neither do lungs or thyroids (which she's already suffered the removal of some parts).

After all, my mom is the MAIN reason we haven't left this damned state already (besides having a TON of shit to get rid of). So, just call me "Chrome Dome" for the time being, that's fine with me! Besides, hair grows back! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
POLITICIANS & DIAPERS NEED TO BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON

A person properly schooled in right and wrong is safe with any weapon. A person with no idea of good and evil is unsafe with a knitting needle, or the cap from a ballpoint pen.

I remain pessimistic given the way BATF and the anti gun crowd have become tape worms in the guts of the Republic. - toad