On necroposting, new threads, and the nature of a forum

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Netpackrat

Re: On necroposting, new threads, and the nature of a forum

Post by Netpackrat »

Weetabix wrote:It seems to me that the "purpose" of a forum is for discussion more than as a searchable repository of facts. I come here to visit with a small group of guys whose thought processes and opinions I respect. For me, it's a place to chat and to bounce ideas or to listen in on discussions of interest.
Since I was the guy who posted the joke image in response to your necropost, I probably owe you at least something of an explanation. Whether or not necroposting is considered acceptable or not, is not at all consistent from forum to forum. It's entirely dependent upon the philosophy and preferences of the forum management, and to some extent, the members. So any answer you get in this thread is really only going to be applicable to this particular forum.

In some places it will get you roundly chastised, and in others (like the Gun Counter) it is somewhat expected and even encouraged. I think a lot of it has to do with the admin's goals and philosophy for the forum. If the admin is mostly running the forum to generate ad revenue, or to a lesser extent, create an echo chamber to stroke his own ego, he's not going to place as much value on the previous discussions. For one, they don't generate as much interest (hits) as newer topics, and necro-posting them forces newer, more active topics out of view more quickly. Having people hash and re-hash the same information time and again ultimately generates more site traffic and hits that allow higher advertising rates. And in some cases necroposts can draw attention to how the admin has contradicted his (which is inevitable over time as minds change, and opinions evolve or are overtaken by events) previous posts. That's undesirable if said admin has a lot of ego invested in portraying an infallible guru persona.

In a place like this? Well, this forum "started" 4 years ago when the previous one was ending, and the current management didn't want to see the community that had grown up, come to an end because of a petty whim of the previous host. So, here we are. Since there are no ads, and the forum is funded primarily out of pocket, maximizing hits or traffic isn't really the priority, beyond wanting to have an active forum that the members find stimulating and enjoyable. Clearly, a lot of value is placed upon meaningful discussion, so a natural consequence is going to be that older, inactive threads will still be highly valued even if nobody is currently posting in them. Therefore, it's to be expected that when a member wants to bring a topic back up that has been previously covered, bringing back the pertinent thread itself will be encouraged. And thanks to the extremely high continuity of membership at TGC, we can usually pick right back up where we left off, even if it's been a couple years or more since the thread was last active.

That's one of the reasons why despite not being a huge, high traffic site like arfcom or THR, this is still one of the best, most useful general interest firearms forums on the net. We get to hang out with people that we (usually) enjoy hanging out with, while knowing that the people running the place value us and what we create, and not because we represent a source of income, or as followers marching in lock-step with them.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

NPR - This is really the only forum I participate on on the internet, so while I'm aware that there are varying ideas on necroposting, I figured I'd just ask. I like to piss off as few people as possible. And I got that your image was a joke.

As to the rest, which I find highly entertaining, this sprang into my mind:
Yogi: “There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I am Oscar Levant.”
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Netpackrat

Post by Netpackrat »

I'll take a facepalm if that's all I can get.
Cognosce teipsum et disce pati

"People come and go in our lives, especially the online ones. Some leave a fond memory, and some a bad taste." -Aesop
Greg

Post by Greg »

It was me. And you know what? I post in bear threads....

What that means is- well in a forum like this, that's relatively long running, with a stable membership of intellectually capable adults... you're going to wind up repeating yourself. It's like a social circle, it develops its own conversational history that everyone is more or less aware of.

Now, repeating yourself can get boring. Everyone has some older relative who tells the same half dozen stories, over and over, to anyone who'll listen. Let's not be that. So, when repeating yourself becomes inevitable, over time, you have fun with it. You approach it in a self-aware manner - you turn the repetitions into in-jokes.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
randy

Post by randy »

Number 17! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh I crack myself up!
...even before I read MHI, my response to seeing a poster for the stars of the latest Twilight movies was "I see 2 targets and a collaborator".
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:Let's not be that.
Hell, I may be that already.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Weetabix wrote:
Greg wrote:Let's not be that.
Hell, I may be that already.
Feather blades actually have pistons. Reduce fouling when you run your safety razor full auto.

Personally I think the best tool for shaving is a 10" suppressed Oster.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

randy wrote:Number 17! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Oh I crack myself up!
I actually did laugh out loud at that one. The guy outside my door thinks I'm an idiot now. Thanks.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Greg wrote:Personally I think the best tool for shaving is a 10" suppressed Oster.
Osterizer is faster. Kind of like a 30 cal mini.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Yogimus wrote:
Aglifter wrote:A good hijack is entertaining, rational, and bears some relation, however tangential, to the initial subject.

Random kitty photos, or irrational comments about Rome, don't work.

Now, if you had referred to a sea change in public opinion starting from an address by Cicero, that would be different - there may be some form of logic in such a statement.
You sonofabitch... you DID get it.
I love shit like this. But the date's wrong.

200BC would be Scipio vs Cato, Hellenized high living vs hard crusty Roman 'old ways'. The Hellenized high living also came with Hellenized liberal populism - the Gracchi were Scipio's grandsons after all.