On necroposting, new threads, and the nature of a forum

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Weetabix

On necroposting, new threads, and the nature of a forum

Post by Weetabix »

So in the shaving thread, a discussion evolved about necroposting vs new threads, and I realized there's a lot I don't understand although I have many opinions.

This is all discussion for the sake of elucidation, and not bitching and whining (I realize there's a heading for that, too. :) )

It seems to me that the "purpose" of a forum is for discussion more than as a searchable repository of facts. I come here to visit with a small group of guys whose thought processes and opinions I respect. For me, it's a place to chat and to bounce ideas or to listen in on discussions of interest.

Using the shaving thread as an example (and again, just discussing - not bitching), Greg said basically, "Oh, no. Not another shaving thread!" Chris agreed and recommended necroposting on a thread that was 4 years old.

The way I prefer to participate in the Gun Counter, when I'm here to participate in discussion, is to see a new thread for a new discussion. If Member A wants to have a current discussion, he'll be more happy having a new one than reading the transcript of one that occurred 4 years ago. It seems probable that people's experience has changed in that intervening time. If Member B participated in that old discussion, he can decide he's not interested in the new one and skip it. If Member C participated in the old one and his opinions haven't changed and he cares enough to let the people in the new discussion know what he thinks, he can link to the old one. Or he can say, "My opinions haven't changed from the last discussion. Search for it if you want to read my opinion."

If Member A necroposts, then ALL of the previous participants are alerted to a new post. Maybe they want that, and maybe they don't. It seems like you see almost as many people complaining about the necropost as you do complaining about "yet another" thread on an old topic. To me, it seems more convenient to ignore the new thread than to get a notice about the new post in the old one, and think, "I don't remember this discussion," then decide you don't care about it.

If I'm looking for strictly information, I'll use the search and dig around through old threads. I've got several old threads bookmarked for the information in them. But that's different from having a discussion.

How do the rest of you like to use a forum?
Note to self: start reading sig lines. They're actually quite amusing. :D
Bullspit

Re: On necroposting, new threads, and the nature of a forum

Post by Bullspit »

I like to use the "View new posts" link to see what is on the collective minds. I often enjoy the resurrection of an old conversation as a starting point for a new one and view it neither as essential or annoying.

I like your conversation example.
"Stand it like a man, and give some back." Al Swearengen
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

CByrneIV wrote:Well first of all, I wasn't actually recommending he necro the four year old post; I was recommending he find the older post MOST RELEVANT to what he was wanting to bring up again.
I must have misunderstood. When you merged the older one, I read that to mean I should have necro'ed it. Before I started the new one, I looked for a recent post, but I didn't see one that appeared most relevant. I admit I didn't go back very far.
Second, no-one was actually complaining about necroing the old thread, it was a joke, by one guy.
I probably misunderstood.
Whether it is acceptable to necro something, is a matter of personal judgement. If your new input is substantially different from the previous threads topic, or is otherwise substantially independent frmo the old thread; then post a new thread. If it is substantially identical to the old topic, or there is a lot of potential dependency on (or direct relevance to) the information in the old thread (for example, if the likliehood is nearly 100% that most peoples response to your hypothetical NEW thread would be to post the exact same thing they posted on the four old threads on the topic), then post to the old thread.
I think I understand. I try to do it that way.
Also I STRONGLY recommend everyone view the forum using the "view active topics" function; which will give you a list of all threads which have been posted on in the last 7, 14, 30, 90, 180, or 365 days (there's a dropdown box at the bottom of the default 7 day page).
That's what my bookmark goes to, actually.

I sometimes have a problem reading the subtleties of conversational meaning online. In person, I get that from tone or inflection or facial cues, which are necessarily absent online. I hope you realize I'm just musing and discussing here. I'm not complaining or whining. Just trying to figure this out. I also admit that sometimes I find the details of some things (like this) much more interesting than others seem to.
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

CByrneIV wrote:Remember, as the mod in chief, I actually read every thread (and usually re-read them repeatedly, as more content is posted), and post on an awful lot of them.

... Though I'm actually only third in posting rank, behind 308Mike, and Mekender (6000, and 3000 post behind respectively in fact).

Not only does it get tedious posting the same info a dozen times; but it actually makes it a lot harder to find the answer for people who are looking not to make people do that.
A guy I used to work with called guys like you "zipper heads." It's not a pejorative. He said that basically a guy like you unzips his head, puts a book (or a thread or whatever) in there, and it stays there forever, as fresh as the day it got put in. I'm guessing that a lot of things in your life are tedious because most people don't remember the way you do.

I can't decide which one would be worse: forgetting or never forgetting. :)
Rod

Post by Rod »

It's worst to never forget. IF you forget, it's like finding something new all over again. :lol:
one can be a Democrat, or one can choose to be an American.
Good acting requires an imagination; reality requires a person not getting lost in their imagination.
"It's better to have a gun if you need it". Felix's opthamologist
Weetabix

Post by Weetabix »

Rod wrote:It's worst to never forget. IF you forget, it's like finding something new all over again. :lol:
There are actually books I put back for a few years. I really enjoyed them, and I know that when I come back to them after a while, they're brand new, but this time I know I'll like them.
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

Just don't start another knife sharpening thread. :lol:
Eppur si muove--Galileo
arctictom

Post by arctictom »

As the re-animator I will say that I look at the members of this board as people I like to bounce ideas off and friends , and am guilty of starting a thread with out research , and I get the point , keeping the mods work load to a dull roar is a good thing.
And I am sticking with 4 years is like yesterday to me :D .
You live and learn.
Or you don't live long.
Aglifter

Post by Aglifter »

I didn't know we had any threads coherent enough to be used for reference purposes - unless the mods have been doing a heck of a job untangling the messes we make...
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm Reliance on the Protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our lives, our Fortunes, & our sacred Honor

A gentleman unarmed is undressed.

Collects of 1903/08 Colt Pocket Auto
Yogimus

Post by Yogimus »

I blame the rise of liberal ideals in 200BC Rome.