'92 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
evan price

Re: '92 Chrysler Le Baron Convertible

Post by evan price »

skb12172 wrote:What about a early 90's to early 2000's Celica GT? Or a mid 90's to early 2000's Pontiac Sunfire? I've also seen PT Cruiser convertibles. Opinions? I know Chris will have a good opinion on each.

The last-gen Celicas (2000 and newer) looked cool from the outside... My wife wanted a 2001 Celica GTS. I am not huge, 6'1" and 250 lbs, long legs. I could not find a position that allowed me to simultaneously have hands on steering wheel, feet on pedals without also having steering wheel touching legs and head touching roof. I do like to sit kinda leaned back a bit (not as bad as the kids in da hood) but even then I couldn't get comfortable. It was tight inside, and the interior looked cheap and hard silvery plastic, like a discount portable boom box.

Wanted the 6-speed manual. Due to the odd (for America) shift pattern they had to add a back-up beeper. No, not outside the car, INSIDE the car, so you know you engaged Reverse and not First. (Reverse was top-left, next to first, with a rather heavy spring gate that you could miss)

The previous gen celicas were basically a Camry drivetrain in a Coupe body. Not terrible, no great amount of power (except the Turbo AllTrac) and they did have adequate room for a tall person. I still have a 1988 Celica GT convertible project car and I fit into that reasonably well.

The Sunfire and Cavalier are just what they are. Disposable econoboxes.
Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc

http://ohioccwforums.org/
Ohioans for Concealed Carry:THE source for Ohio CCW information and discussion!
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

What about the PT Cruiser? Same as the Sunfire and Cavalier? I'm assuming so, since it's basically a Neon.
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
Fivetoes

Post by Fivetoes »

Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice, Opal GT, all the same car but I think the Opal has a better engine, maybe. Ring Mo K up, I think she had one of these a while back.
Lokidude

Post by Lokidude »

Netpackrat wrote:Would you put a roll bar in this?

For the love of God, no. That's gorgeous. Of course, I have a weakness for odd little Euro sportscars...
workinwifdakids wrote: We've thus far avoided the temptation to jack an entire forum.

But what the hell.
Standing for Truth, Justice, and the American Way!
slowpoke

Post by slowpoke »

Fivetoes wrote:Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice, Opal GT, all the same car but I think the Opal has a better engine, maybe. Ring Mo K up, I think she had one of these a while back.
The ecotech that Saturn used was an Opel design. I think the Opel had option for a stronger engine at first, but the later Redline/GXP's had the 260hp turbo direct gas injection.
You actually can fit a v8 into that chassis. It will take the drivetrain from Chris's caddy with some minor modification.
"Islam delenda est" Aesop
bubblewhip

Post by bubblewhip »

Fivetoes wrote:Saturn Sky, Pontiac Solstice, Opal GT, all the same car but I think the Opal has a better engine, maybe. Ring Mo K up, I think she had one of these a while back.
Solstice has my vote. fast, good looking, and maneuverable.

Edit: What about a Porsche Boxster 986? Checking out prices for old Boxsters tend to go for about 15k CAD.

There's also the C5 Corvette if the Boxster is a bit too girly. I think the C5 has a removable hard top and can be had for as little as 10k. Since it's a LS engine, and parts are everywhere, repairs are cheap and so are modifications.
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

So, for good choices if you are looking for a convertible on a budget...

Mid 90s mustang (94-2004) or Camaro (93 to 2002) convertible.

Older Lexus sc430's

Jeep

Celica GT

Anything to add or elaborate?
There must be an end to this intimidation by those who come to this great country, but reject its culture.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

No mention of a Corvette? My neighbor just sold his early 90s vette, and I don't think he got more than 14K for it.

Also, look into buying "Satan's rollerskate", more commonly known as an AC Cobra(more specifically the repros). Most of the people selling them are on crack, but occasionally a deal comes along.
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Darrell

Post by Darrell »

The Toyota Solara convertible comes to mind as well. It's basically a Camry coupe/ragtop.
Eppur si muove--Galileo
skb12172

Post by skb12172 »

HTRN wrote:No mention of a Corvette? My neighbor just sold his early 90s vette, and I don't think he got more than 14K for it.

Also, look into buying "Satan's rollerskate", more commonly known as an AC Cobra(more specifically the repros). Most of the people selling them are on crack, but occasionally a deal comes along.
The idea was for it to be a convertible on a budget. For me, that means below 10K. Still, if you like Corvettes and you have the scratch, not a bad idea.