Does not follow...

If it doesnt fit anywhere else but you still want to share, this is the place
Vonz90

Re: Does not follow...

Post by Vonz90 »

Jericho941 wrote:
Vonz90 wrote:
Jericho941 wrote:
This is factually incorrect. The idea of owning serfs was true but not since 1861 when Alexander II freed them. The part of the Tsar owning all of the land is also incorrect and was forever going back to the powerful boyers who were at one time very powerful and obviously controlled their own properties. My own family had estates in several provinces, my great grandfather's estate having been purchased by him shortly before the war (he was a younger son so would not have inherited his father's). Likewise there were corporate interests that owned factories and other businesses. This goes back to at least Peter the Great.

The whole deal with the kulaks was that they were peasants who owned their own land.

The state was usually corrupt, overly powerful and overly centralized and owned a bunch of stuff they had no business in, but saying that there there was no private property in Tsarists Russia is just wrong.
My understanding is that Kulaks are what the guy was talking about with the "hybrid Feudalistic-Capitalistic system that existed for roughly 40 years" and that boyars owned the facilities, but not the land they were on. They didn't have the power of European aristocracy.
No, the kulaks owned the land they worked as opposed to the serfs who did not; this distinction goes back to a long time in Russia. There were not a ton of kulaks but they were definitely a separate class. Incidentally, that is part of the reason the communists persecuted the kulaks. Since they owned their own land, they were considered oppressors by communist doctrine even though from a class standpoint they were peasants.

There was also a 'middle class" of peasants who were not serfs but did not own their own land, but I forget the name for them.

BTW - there were analogous classes in other places in Europe. My mother's family traces back to the free peasant class in Saxony for instance. So while they were peasants, they were not serfs and did own small farms (could be very small down to a few acres or whatever) and also worked as hired hands on the larger holdings around. They actually made up a high percentage of immigrants to the US (relative their percentage of the German population - which was not large) because as industrialization became important in the second half of the 19th century, the value of their labor went way down and they had a very tough time economically.
Last edited by Vonz90 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HTRN

Post by HTRN »

Jered wrote:I just won a Barrett M82A1 in .50 BMG on gunbroker.

*laughs in Freedom*
How much?
HTRN, I would tell you that you are an evil fucker, but you probably get that a lot ~ Netpackrat

Describing what HTRN does as "antics" is like describing the wreck of the Titanic as "a minor boating incident" ~ First Shirt
Jered

Post by Jered »

HTRN wrote: How much?
$8350 shipped, with a set of Barrett rings, a Leupold Mk 4 scope (54560) and 20 rounds of ammo.
The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.
Frankingun

Post by Frankingun »

Jered wrote:
HTRN wrote: How much?
$8350 shipped, with a set of Barrett rings, a Leupold Mk 4 scope (54560) and 20 rounds of ammo.
Schwing!!!
Buy ammunition and magazines.

You'll shoot your eye out!

Another blog.
Jered

Post by Jered »

I need to compensate. :lol:
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jered wrote:I need to compensate. :lol:
Buying yourself a really expensive toy usually means you just got dumped.
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
blackeagle603

Post by blackeagle603 »

Just bought a ridiculously expensive set of bar racks for my 15 year old 445K mile Golf. After nearly 30 years of makeshift tiedowns on rusty old school racks or lately the soft racks with their straps cutting through drivers line of sight in the interior I figured I'd go for it. No hiding from the water time anymore, have to get my money's worth now.

These can handle a SUP board and kayaks as well so let's go for.
"The Guncounter: More fun than a barrel of tattooed knife-fighting chain-smoking monkey butlers with drinking problems and excessive gambling debts!"

"The right of the citizens to keep and bear arms has justly been considered, as the palladium of the liberties of a republic;" Justice Story
Jered

Post by Jered »

Greg wrote:
...not lately. :P
Greg

Post by Greg »

Jered wrote:
Greg wrote:
...not lately. :P
Happens to everyone at some point. :)

I can't help but think of one time a friend of a friend shows up wearing a *beautiful* and extremely expensive new Italian suit. We teased him a little, 'what's the special occasion?', etc. He insisted it was important, he needed it for interviews. And then our mutual friend whispers in my ear 'yeah, he just got dumped!'. :lol:
Maybe we're just jaded, but your villainy is not particularly impressive. -Ennesby

If you know what you're doing, you're not learning anything. -Unknown
Sanity is the process by which you continually adjust your beliefs so they are predictively sound. -esr
Jered

Post by Jered »

I bought a quad.

Driving around town on it is a blast.